Question about Linear Op Mode for use of Motor encoders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Linear Op Mode for use of Motor encoders

I am helping to coach a rookie robotics team and am teaching the kids programming with App Inventor.

I really appreciate all of the resources on the ORTOP website and have viewed most of the You Tube Videos and found them very helpful.

I have been working with our team to try to write a program for the autonomous period and our start point has been to use the program titled "Linear Op Mode that uses motor encoders to autonomously drive and turn K9Bot" provided on the ORTOP website. (Thank you Bruce for all of your work)

I successfully installed the the program onto our robot controller however when we started the program from the driver station the robot moved forward indefinitely. It would not initiate the turn and the only way to stop the robot was to turn off the power supply on the power distribution module.
    Initially I troubleshooted the programming - however, the problem was still present even after I downloaded the copy of the program directly from the website.

We have two DC motors with encoders and I have double checked the wiring connection points which are plugged in properly and are secure.

Has any one else experienced this problem?

Tim

A related question...

Reading some of the other threads there was one which mentioned having to specially configure the color sensor. When using motor encoders and setting up the config file, do I need to do anything special when configuring my motor controller? Currently my config file simply has motor_1 in port 1 of the motor controller and motor_2 in port 2 of the motor controller.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by KARDIA Robotics View Post
      I am helping to coach a rookie robotics team and am teaching the kids programming with App Inventor.

I really appreciate all of the resources on the ORTOP website and have viewed most of the You Tube Videos and found them very helpful.

I have been working with our team to try to write a program for the autonomous period and our start point has been to use the program titled "Linear Op Mode that uses motor encoders to autonomously drive and turn K9Bot" provided on the ORTOP website. (Thank you Bruce for all of your work)

I successfully installed the the program onto our robot controller however when we started the program from the driver station the robot moved forward indefinitely. It would not initiate the turn and the only way to stop the robot was to turn off the power supply on the power distribution module.
      Initially I troubleshooted the programming - however, the problem was still present even after I downloaded the copy of the program directly from the website.

We have two DC motors with encoders and I have double checked the wiring connection points which are plugged in properly and are secure.

Has any one else experienced this problem?

Tim
      Hi Tim,

In your op mode, do you use telemetry to print out the encoder values? You can use the getCurrentPosition() block to get the value of the encoders. Make sure the values are moving/changing and make sure they are moving/changing in the direction you think they should be.

Would it be possible for you to take snapshot of the blocks in your opmode, or perhaps put your .aia file somewhere online that we can download it and take a look at your op mode?

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thank you for replying to my post. I will try to use the telemetry function to test our encoders are working properly.

The opmode that we are using to start with is an exact copy of the opmode available to download from the ORTOP website.

http://www.ortop.org/ftc/AppInventor/

We downloaded and imported the project from SAMPLE PROJECT FILES titled "Linear Op Mode that uses motor encoders to autonomously drive and turn K9Bot."

We figured we would test out this opmode first on our robot and then tweak it to our specifications.

However, it didn't seem to work, so I'm not sure if there's a problem with the code or with our hardware.

Thanks again for your help. By the way your instruction manual for installing Ap Inventor was extremely helpful. I don't know where we would be without it.

Tim

Comment

The motor encoders that we are using are the ones which came with the TETRIX FTC Competition Set.

Comment

Working...
          X