Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: distinguish versions of LocalAppInventor_win.ova?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: distinguish versions of LocalAppInventor_win.ova?

In brief, if I have installed multiple App Inventor appliances in a Virtual Box during last fall's development, how do I find out the actual release version while running Virtual Box?

I'm trying to update and clean up 4 Windows PCs used by middle school programmers on 2 FTC teams as our fall program starts soon. On my flash drive I have the latest "appliance" from usfirstinspires measured to be 1,969,168 KB. I also have a version named LocalAppInventor_win_20151117.ova which agrees with the file system "modified" date of last November. Its size is 1,877,514 KB. So there should be no problem about which is the latest version to install so all 4 machines are up-to-date including Virtual Box.

But, once installed and within a running VB, I can't figure out how to identify the appliance version or release date. Kind of another puzzle in the scene. (I may later post a list of non-functional links in the usfirstinspires Web site. Not whining, just trying to improve the operation.)

One possible way is to start the import process for an OVA you want to know the version of. Fairly soon in that process, you will see a page named "Appliance Settings" find the row starting with version and that will give the release date. At that point, you can cancel out of the process and rename your file to give that info in a glance.

Comment

Originally posted by dmssargent View Post
      One possible way is to start the import process for an OVA you want to know the version of. Fairly soon in that process, you will see a page named "Appliance Settings" find the row starting with version and that will give the release date. At that point, you can cancel out of the process and rename your file to give that info in a glance.
      That's a helpful idea during the import process.
      Also, once the appliance is running and you're seeing App Inventor projects in Chrome, clicking on Help|About will give info on that AI's build date. I was looking for some ID when Virtual Box is up but before starting an appliance. Really, a minor point to avoid starting and stopping appliances to find the release number.
      Thanks.

Comment

You can also look at the Screen1's VersionName property value. In the App Inventor designer, click on Screen1 (in the Components column, to the right of the Viewer area) and look in the Properties column. VersionName is the last property.

Comment

Working...
        X