VirtualBox won't Start LocalAppInventor in Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox won't Start LocalAppInventor in Windows 10

I posted this in another thread, but should probably start a new thread to be specific. Here is the original post that has a link to the error I am getting.

Originally posted by RoboticsFun View Post
    I am reinstalling this version of App Inventor due to Windows 10 upgrade. This error is coming up when trying to open the VM https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xke1ltfv2...error.pdf?dl=0

How can this be fixed so I can open the VM?
    I am using Oracle VM VirtualBox version 5.0.6 and the App Inventor version 1.6 from January.

We need help, we only have one computer now that we can program with now (didn't upgrade that one to Windows 10), we need more computers with App Inventor to work, thanks.

Okay, my son and I got it all working. We had to tweak a few settings. I will make up a document that goes through the extra steps and post it as soon as possible. I'm surprised we figured it out, really, my son's programming lessons are paying off

Comment

I am reinstalling this version of App Inventor due to Windows 10 upgrade. This error is coming up when trying to open the VM https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xke1ltfv2...error.pdf?dl=0

How can this be fixed so I can open the VM?
      Well, we only got it working on one computer. The other computer still has this same error I posted earlier. I have removed all files and reinstalled everything multiple times very carefully and this error keeps popping up. So that still needs help.

(on the computer that we did get it to work, it uses a different IP Address now. The one that shows up in the VM is different, so we just use that in the browser with everything else the same and it works. We also had to check off a box in one of the Settings to Allow All in the Host Ethernet Adapter setting, I also checkmarked something in the install to update files, which also seemed to help. But none of those things are working on the other computer.) Thanks.

Comment

Well, we only got it working on one computer. The other computer still has this same error I posted earlier. I have removed all files and reinstalled everything multiple times very carefully and this error keeps popping up. So that still needs help.

(on the computer that we did get it to work, it uses a different IP Address now. The one that shows up in the VM is different, so we just use that in the browser with everything else the same and it works. We also had to check off a box in one of the Settings to Allow All in the Host Ethernet Adapter setting, I also checkmarked something in the install to update files, which also seemed to help. But none of those things are working on the other computer.) Thanks.
        I would recommend upgrading to VirtualBox 5.0.20 (your current version will break with the anversiverry update for Windows 10). The error message is to me that you are missing some VirtualBox network drivers, so try looking through device management and uninstall everything related to VirtualBox under networking (assuming you are comfortable doing so) and installing at least VirtualBox 5.0.20. I can give more detailed instructions tomorrow morning, if you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by dmssargent View Post
          I would recommend upgrading to VirtualBox 5.0.20 (your current version will break with the anversiverry update for Windows 10). The error message is to me that you are missing some VirtualBox network drivers, so try looking through device management and uninstall everything related to VirtualBox under networking (assuming you are comfortable doing so) and installing at least VirtualBox 5.0.20. I can give more detailed instructions tomorrow morning, if you need them.
          Okay, I did everything, and used 5.0.20. Still got the same error message. I would like help with this, but not in a huge rush. Other people may also come up with this issue once the season gets going and people start programming with App Inventor though.

Comment

In the VM settings, in the Networking section, what is the name field listing? In the drop-down menu for the name field does it list "VirtualBox NDIS 6.0 Miniport Driver" or "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Driver" or something similiar?

Comment

In the VM settings, in the Networking section, what is the name field listing? In the drop-down menu for the name field does it list "VirtualBox NDIS 6.0 Miniport Driver" or "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Driver" or something similiar?
              For Adapter 2, it says the "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter 2" and in Adapter 1, it is "NAT". The Adapter 2 was default set to "deny" Promiscuous code, I had to check "Allow All" on the other computer, after I did that and a few other things, that computer worked. Those aren't working for this computer though. And last season, I had a parent who is a programmer who fixed up my VM, he knew how to get it up and running with App Inventor, it didn't work at first. I don't know all that he did, and he is no longer available to help our team. just saying.

Comment

For Adapter 2, it says the "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter 2" and in Adapter 1, it is "NAT". The Adapter 2 was default set to "deny" Promiscuous code, I had to check "Allow All" on the other computer, after I did that and a few other things, that computer worked. Those aren't working for this computer though. And last season, I had a parent who is a programmer who fixed up my VM, he knew how to get it up and running with App Inventor, it didn't work at first. I don't know all that he did, and he is no longer available to help our team. just saying.
                For adapter 2, can you change it from "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter 2" to "VirtualBox NDIS 6.0 Miniport Driver"?

Comment

For adapter 2, can you change it from "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter 2" to "VirtualBox NDIS 6.0 Miniport Driver"?
                  No. Just to see what would happen, when I press the Add button, it just adds the same thing but instead of 2, it's 3.

Comment

No. Just to see what would happen, when I press the Add button, it just adds the same thing but instead of 2, it's 3.
                    From what you are describing you are seeing something different, then what I am aiming to describe.

The VirtualBox networking settings should look something like what is below.

Comment

From what you are describing you are seeing something different, then what I am aiming to describe.

The VirtualBox networking settings should look something like what is below.
                      In my settings there, Adapter 1 is set to "NAT". When I change it to "Host Only Adapter", it doesn't have the 6.0 Miniport Drive, it has the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. I went ahead and tried using that, and it still came up with the same error.

Comment

In my settings there, Adapter 1 is set to "NAT". When I change it to "Host Only Adapter", it doesn't have the 6.0 Miniport Drive, it has the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. I went ahead and tried using that, and it still came up with the same error.
                        Thanks for checking that!

If you open "ncpa.cpl" (open a Command Prompt, type "ncpa.cpl" and hit enter or open a Run dialog (Win+R) and type "ncpa.cpl" and click "OK"), you should see a list of adapters on the computer, read the bottom line of each (it should be light gray), and on everything starting with "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet," right-click and in the context menu, select Properties.

Under the Networking tab, you should see a list of items, like "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network" In that list you should also see "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver." If you do, make sure that there is a check by it. Restart VirtualBox, and try launching the VM again.

Let me know if you have any issues with that.

Comment

Thanks for checking that!

If you open "ncpa.cpl" (open a Command Prompt, type "ncpa.cpl" and hit enter or open a Run dialog (Win+R) and type "ncpa.cpl" and click "OK"), you should see a list of adapters on the computer, read the bottom line of each (it should be light gray), and on everything starting with "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet," right-click and in the context menu, select Properties.

Under the Networking tab, you should see a list of items, like "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network" In that list you should also see "VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver." If you do, make sure that there is a check by it. Restart VirtualBox, and try launching the VM again.

Let me know if you have any issues with that.
                          Awesome, it worked!

Just to report, I am using a new IP on both this laptop and my son's (also now using Windows 10). See my screen shot. Just want to point that out, it's not the same IP as in the manuals, but it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm02zjerk8...%20ip.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the help!

Comment

This is what we had to do on the other laptop to get it running the App Inventor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gad0gelqmm...20fix.pdf?dl=0

A few things were changing one setting from "Deny" to "Allow All" in one menu, and inputting some of the IP information. Then the IP was different in the web browser. All of that is documented in these notes, maybe it can help if someone also has issues with Windows 10 and the VM.

Comment

Working...
                            X