Robot configuration problems after switching to new (Feb '16) beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot configuration problems after switching to new (Feb '16) beta

Is anyone else running into problems changing the robot configuration after switching to the new beta of the AppInventor appliance and the driver station? We upgraded both, rebuilt our robot controller app with the new appliance and successfully verified we could still drive our robot. We then added a core device interface module to start experimenting with some new sensors and tried to add that module to our robot configuration file. Both Configure Robot and Autoconfigure Robot settings option result in "Unfortunately, FTCRobotController has stopped". Oddly, the About FTCRobotController option leads to the same message, followed by a shutdown of the app (the configuration failures do not close the app).

Later today we'll try reverting back to the non-beta to see if these issues go away, but we are wondering if anyone else is seeing them.

Just confirmed that the these problems do not occur with our previous robot controller app, compiled with the last officially-released appliance file. Looks like we'll stick with that version for now.

Comment

We're running v16.02.09.002 with no problems.

Did you see this in the "
      README file"?

FTC Local App Inventorhttp://frc-events.usfirst.org/2015/ftcimages***************************************** *****Release v16.02.09.002Release uses FTC library built on 16.02.09 (v16.02.09.001) * v16.02.09.002 fixes the crash bugs that occurred when you tried to configure the robot.**********************************************Rel ease v16.02.09.001Release uses FTC library built on 16.02.09 (v16.02.09.001)...

Comment

Originally posted by CraigRochester View Post
        We're running v16.02.09.002 with no problems.

Did you see this in the "
        README file"?

FTC Local App Inventorhttp://frc-events.usfirst.org/2015/ftcimages***************************************** *****Release v16.02.09.002Release uses FTC library built on 16.02.09 (v16.02.09.001) * v16.02.09.002 fixes the crash bugs that occurred when you tried to configure the robot.**********************************************Rel ease v16.02.09.001Release uses FTC library built on 16.02.09 (v16.02.09.001)...

I'm not sure if that was in the readme when I checked it some time back after first hearing of the beta. But, I downloaded the appliance file on 2/18, so I would expect that the fix described here and released on 2/9, if I'm reading it correctly, would have been included. Nonetheless, the described problem sounds exactly like what what we're facing so I'll re-download the appliance file and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!

Where do you see the V16.02.09.002 number to know what you're running?

Comment

Hi Folks,

Here's an important update, there is a new beta version of the FTC MIT App Inventor appliance files. This new version (with an appliance version number of "v16.02.09.002" fixes a bug that would cause the Robot Controller to crash when a user tried to modify or create a configuration file. The new appliance file is available on the beta download page:

http://frc-events.usfirst.org/FTCImages/2016/beta

It sounds like you are using v16.02.09.001 of the appliance file. If you upgrade to the new file the problem should be corrected.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by FTC9931 View Post
            I'm not sure if that was in the readme when I checked it some time back after first hearing of the beta. But, I downloaded the appliance file on 2/18, so I would expect that the fix described here and released on 2/9, ...!

Where do you see the V16.02.09.002 number to know what you're running?
            Both V16.02.09.002 and V16.02.09.001 were built the same day. Maybe you got V16.02.09.001.

I've yet to figure out how to determine what build is installed in VirtualBox. When in doubt, I just go to http://http://frc-events.usfirst.org...ages/2016/beta and replace. I had problems with the replacing "LocalAppInventor", but found that this works:

1. Backup all your App Inventor files with: Projects --> Export all projects
            2. Remove LocalAppInventor appliance (hover over and right click for menu)
            3. From menu, select "Remove all files". The new appliance wouldn't install if I clicked "Remove only". I'd have to uninstall VirtualBox, find and delete all directories and then re-install VirtualBox.
            4. Unzip the projects to a Windows directory. It's a good practice to do this routinely anyway...
            5. Restore your projects by: Project --> Import project (.aia) from my computer. You have to import each project.

I've never had a problem using the above. There may be a way to keep the AppInventor files and update the LocalAppInventor appliance, but I haven't found it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
              Hi Folks,

Here's an important update, there is a new beta version of the FTC MIT App Inventor appliance files. This new version (with an appliance version number of "v16.02.09.002" fixes a bug that would cause the Robot Controller to crash when a user tried to modify or create a configuration file. The new appliance file is available on the beta download page:

http://frc-events.usfirst.org/FTCImages/2016/beta

It sounds like you are using v16.02.09.001 of the appliance file. If you upgrade to the new file the problem should be corrected.

Tom
              Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for you great support with the new controls hardware/software. I can only imagine the challenges coordinating and addressing problems with the new system. Great job!

Comment

Yup, must have had the old new appliance file. :-) Re-downloaded to get the latest, latest and all is good now.

I did find you can see the appliance file version number by starting the Import Appliance dialog in VirtualBox manager. Thanks again!

Comment

We have downloaded the new versions of driver's station app and App Inventor but when we download the file for our app we created, and put it on the phone, and try to connect the driver's station with our app, it says the app we created is still in V1 while the driver's station app is in v4. We fully understand how to achieve the different versions of the driver's station, but cannot seem to get the proper version of app inventor. We have the new appliance file and still have compatibility issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X