Help With Blocks Programming and the REV module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Blocks Programming and the REV module

We followed the build guide for blocks programming and the REV module but our motor isn't working. When we move the joystick the telemetry data is sent from one phone to the other but the motor isn't turning. Any help would be appreciated!

We have been successful using Blocks on a test bot with Expansion module, 4 Rev Core Hex motors, one Rev Smart Servo. Having more trouble with Sensors. Only gotten REV Color Proximity Sensor working, at least for Range.

Comment

Hi thensley,

I'm sorry that you are encountering problems with your testing. Would it be possible for you to share a screenshot of your blocks program?

Also, what does the telemetry data say for the target power and the motor power when you push the gamepad? Do you see non-zero values when you push the joystick?

Also, have you verified that the wiring for your test setup matches the wiring in the Blocks Programming tutorial? Is 12V power being supplied to the Expansion Hub?

Tom

Comment

Attached is my forklift code.
        Attached Files

Comment

Tom, How do I connect and configure the REV Digital Touch sensor? Gary Lindner

Comment

Originally posted by lindnergt View Post
            Tom, How do I connect and configure the REV Digital Touch sensor? Gary Lindner
            Hi Gary Lindner (that is the name of my kids' dentist by the way...)!

You can connect the REV Digital Touch sensor using these instructions:
            https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...-expansion-hub

You can configure your REV Digital Touch sensor using these instructions:
            https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...l-touch-sensor

You can program your digital touch sensor using these instructions:
            https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...)#touch-sensor

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Tom

Comment

Tom, I will post a screenshot of our blocks program this afternoon during class! Thank You!

Comment

Thanks for the help, Tom. Working: REV_Core_Hex, Tetrix, Neverest motors and encoders, REV_Smart Servo, REV_Touch, REV_Color_Range, MR_Range.
                I can't get MR_Color to work. After configuring and restarting the RC displays "Warning: problem with 'mr_color'. Any ideas?

Comment

We have been working with the new programming environment and it's wonderful. The only problem we've encountered is connecting the laptop through wifi. This morning we could not get the phone to appear in the wifi list on our laptop. We did a bunch of restarts on both phones and the laptop and eventually it appeared and we connected. Unfortunately we only had about 15 minutes left in class. Is there a trick to making this connection? There are several laptops we've used in the room. Should we shut them down? All our laptops run Windows 8.1. The phones are the original ZTE speeds. Once the connection is made, everything is perfect. At home, all is well. I have Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by lindnergt View Post
                    Thanks for the help, Tom. Working: REV_Core_Hex, Tetrix, Neverest motors and encoders, REV_Smart Servo, REV_Touch, REV_Color_Range, MR_Range.
                    I can't get MR_Color to work. After configuring and restarting the RC displays "Warning: problem with 'mr_color'. Any ideas?
                    Hi Gary,

Hmm, let's see if we can troubleshoot this... the warning indicates that the REV Expansion Hub is unable to talk to the mr_color sensor.

Have you looked at the following,

1. the MR sensors run on 5V digital logic. The Expansion Hub uses 3.3V logic. Are you using one of the REV Robotics Logic Level Converter to connect the MR Color sensor, to the Expansion Hub? You want to have the MR sensor <---> Logic Level Converter <---> JST 4-wire cable <---> REV Expansion Hub.

2. If you do have the MR color sensor hooked up to the level converter, have you confirmed that the pins of the cable match the pins on the converter? the +5V pin should match up with the red wire and the GND pin should match up with the black wire.

3. If you are using a REV logic level converter, have you checked to make sure it's not a problem with the logic level converter? when REV shipped the initial sets of the Expansion Hub, they had a batch of level converters with some bad (non functional) Logic Level Converters. If you are able to get the MR Range sensor working, and you are using a different Level Converter and/or cable, then you might want to try the different converter and cable to see if maybe you have a bad Logic Level Converter or sensor cable.

4. Verify the connections for your setup. Make sure the cables are properly connected and their connectors are seated properly in their receptacles.

5. Have you tested the MR Color sensor with a MR Core Device Interface module? as a last check, you might want to dust off the old MR Core Device Interface module and test the sensor with the MR device interfac module to verify that it's working.

Let me know if you are able to make progress here. If not, we'll see if we can try some additional steps to troubleshoot.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by bfoster@vsnaples.org View Post
                      We have been working with the new programming environment and it's wonderful. The only problem we've encountered is connecting the laptop through wifi. This morning we could not get the phone to appear in the wifi list on our laptop. We did a bunch of restarts on both phones and the laptop and eventually it appeared and we connected. Unfortunately we only had about 15 minutes left in class. Is there a trick to making this connection? There are several laptops we've used in the room. Should we shut them down? All our laptops run Windows 8.1. The phones are the original ZTE speeds. Once the connection is made, everything is perfect. At home, all is well. I have Windows 10.
                      Hi BFoster,

I think the problem has to do with Windows 8. We have noticed issues "seeing" the Wi-Fi network from the Robot Controllers with Windows 8.x. Windows 8 had some type of issue where it wasn't always seeing the Wi-Fi networks generated by the Robot Controller and announcing them in the list of available networks. One thing that we discovered in our testing was to make sure that the Windows 8 Machine had the newest service packs and updates/fixes from Microsoft. This seem to help fix the problem.

If possible, could you verify that the laptops that are running Windows 8.1 have the latest service packs/fixes from Microsoft? This might not be possible if the laptops are managed by the school's IT administrator.

Another thing we found is that if we could not "see" the Wi-Fi network from Windows 8 reliably, we would configure our Windows 8 machine to manually connect to our programming network. Once you do this, you can configure it to auto-reconnect and if the laptop detects the network nearby, it will automatically connect.

There are instructions on how to do this in the online Wiki:

https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...-wi-fi-network

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you continue to have troubles connecting to the robot controller from the Windows 8.1 machines.

Tom

Comment

Thanks, Tom. We followed the directions found in the FTC Blocks Training Manual (p.79) using the "hidden network" option and it worked as advertised.

Comment

The training manual covered the distance sensor clearly. Is there a tutorial available for color? We're under the impression that the included sensor measures distance and color.

Comment

Originally posted by bfoster@vsnaples.org View Post
                            The training manual covered the distance sensor clearly. Is there a tutorial available for color? We're under the impression that the included sensor measures distance and color.
                            Hi bfoster - we have a plan to write a tutorial for the color sensor for Blocks, but don't have one yet... The included sensor does measure color and distance. I'll try to put together some blocks for you later this week, but if someone else can put together an example and share it with the forum that would be great.

Tom

Comment

There are now a pair of videos on using a color sensor on the Blocks playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...tGcK7q0od0LYov

Comment

Working...
                              X