Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kotlin is supported in Android Studio but legal? rs02

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kotlin is supported in Android Studio but legal? rs02

    The Kotlin plugin is bundled with Android Studio but is this an allowable language? One reading of RSO2 says it's not legal as it is not listed as one of the four languages . Another way to read the rule is legal since it supported by Android Studio

    <RS02> Recommended Programming Language - Java and the Blocks Development Tool are the recommended programming languages for the FIRST Tech Challenge. The minimum allowed app version number is 4.0. Programming must be done using one of the following applications:
    [INDENT][INDENT][FONT=arial]a. FTC Blocks Development tool

  • #2
    You can use kotlin, c++, and various other languages. Recommended means that it is more likely to be stable.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am still waiting on official GDC ruling.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FTC13197 View Post
        I am still waiting on official GDC ruling.
        Kotlin compiles to JVM bytecode.... I guarantee you 100% they'll say it's fine.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

          Kotlin compiles to JVM bytecode.... I guarantee you 100% they'll say it's fine.
          This is a true statement, as well as the fundamental reason there is instability and non-repeatability in FTC robot control.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 11343_Mentor View Post

            This is a true statement, as well as the fundamental reason there is instability and non-repeatability in FTC robot control.
            Yeah but if the team chooses to not use the "recommended programming language" then any problems they run into that are specific to that configuration are on them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Our team needs an official ruling on the use of Kotlin for our state tournament in a few weeks. We believe that it definitely is allowed from <RS02> but due to inspector ruling, we need an official answer.

              Comment


              • #8
                To get an official ruling you need to post your question in one of the official rules forums found here -
                https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum
                I think posting either in the "Post your robot Inspection and build rules question here" or "Post your game rules question here" forums would work.

                Here's the read this first which includes that you must use the team login sent you to be able to post a question -
                https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum/t...ion-guidelines

                Comment


                • #9
                  Still awaiting official ruling. I posted the question on Jan 30th.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Now that we asked the question at the correct forum for getting an official response does anyone know why the question is "unapproved" and what does it take to get it approved. Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FTC10101 View Post
                      Our team needs an official ruling on the use of Kotlin for our state tournament in a few weeks. We believe that it definitely is allowed from <RS02> but due to inspector ruling, we need an official answer.
                      The inspector won't know whether you're using Kotlin or not, it makes no difference in how the app behaves.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

                        The inspector won't know whether you're using Kotlin or not, it makes no difference in how the app behaves.
                        Yes, we do know that. But we would rather use gracious professionalism and follow their rules about allowing us to use it or not. Also, we are using the fact that we use Kotlin in our control award and programming section.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FTC10101 View Post

                          Yes, we do know that. But we would rather use gracious professionalism and follow their rules about allowing us to use it or not. Also, we are using the fact that we use Kotlin in our control award and programming section.
                          Well, in that case, you'll be stuck waiting for like 2 weeks until the GDC gets around to answering your question

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

                            Well, in that case, you'll be stuck waiting for like 2 weeks until the GDC gets around to answering your question
                            We are okay with waiting, but the inspector posted the question on January 29th, so hopefully they will answer soon!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Answered here:
                              https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum/t...3380#post73380

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X