Continuous Servo - New Class Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous Servo - New Class Issue

A class has been released recently for continuous rotation servos. We have tried to use it with an interesting and problematic issue within the app. We have created code to simply set the power to the servo - no other code for any other classes or invoked. When we open the driver station app and it then connects to the robot phone but before we select a program to run, the continuous rotation servo begins to run although it is at a low power....

We then switched servos and servo controllers just to see if it can be replicated and the same thing occurs. What is obviously concerning is that we have not selected init or even selected the code.

When the we run the program and the class runs the servo works fine. Even when 'stop' is pressed the servo keeps moving with the same direction and speed before initialization but this can potentially be attributed to other issues with the code.

Our primary question is can others replicate this and if so, where do we flag the bug for repair?

We are using the modern robotics servo controller.

It sounds like the app is trying to send the servo a null-movement command but the servo cal is a bit off.

You are right though, before the app is initialized, all servos should be disabled (and not being sent any pulses)

What is your "App Version"? To determine this, go to the robot controller menu (three dots) and select "about".

Comment

Originally posted by Philbot View Post
      It sounds like the app is trying to send the servo a null-movement command but the servo cal is a bit off.

You are right though, before the app is initialized, all servos should be disabled (and not being sent any pulses)

What is your "App Version"? To determine this, go to the robot controller menu (three dots) and select "about".
      Oh, another question...

Is your CR servo Analog or Digital?

If it's digital, this might be the issue. Digital CR servos, seem to hold onto the Last commanded speed, even when the pulses stop, so there is no absolute way to guarantee that they turn off once the pulses stop.

The SDK should be disabling all the servos when the OPmode is not running, but to do this, it's probably giving the CR servos a STOP pulse width, before disabling.

If your Servo is slightly miss calibrated, (or maybe even the SDK is sending a slightly off value) then once the servo outputs are disabled, you servo could be holding the last speed (of near zero).

Let us know what type of servo it is (model number)

Comment

Hello Philbot,

Here are the answers to your questions above:

a) We are planning to use the Hitec HSR-1425CR (analog) Servo to minimize power consumption but we also tested it with a HSR-2645CR we had on hand (digital). Both had the same response and moved without pressing init after the programs opened and the phones recognized each other.

b) We are running the current apps that were released in September on both phones. I believe the Google Play store has them at version 2.2. I don't have the phones in front of me but we have done the upgrades with the apps and with the Android OS and show current on both.

c) We are using the Moto G2 phones

I will post the version as asked when I get the phones in hand but this is what I have at the moment. Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts/guidance.

Comment

Confirmed as version 2.2

Comment

Working...
          X