Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a problem in the DS WiFi Direct status section.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a problem in the DS WiFi Direct status section.

The WiFi Direct connection status of our Driver Station app is not connecting to our Robot Controller app. It was working last week, but my school team came together for a meeting today and the two apps would not connect. On the DS side, the section of the screen that tells whether the two devices are connected will only say, "connecting" without ever connecting. The RC side has a constant, "disconnected" in the network status heading. We have done a number of things to try and fix our problem to no avail. Below is a list of what we have done so far:
    1. Restart the phones.
    2. Uninstall and reinstall the apps.
    3. Attempt to redo the WiFi Direct connection (even following several videos on the interwebs).
    4. Look on the main forums to see if we could find a similar problem (apparently another team had a similar problem, but their solution didn't work for us).

This problem is really frustrating, because we can not test any of the code we have. Currently we are trying to factory reset the phones and we will later reintall the apps on the phones and I have just heard that today verizon had a service failure up and down the east coast (where we are) although I doubt that had anything to do with the issue as we have had the phones on airplane mode the whole time. Anyways, thanks for any answers in advance, any answers will be of help.

~Ben Miles, Team 10570, Lead Programmer

A couple things to check. Make sure you are in airplane mode. That can often mess up the wifi-direct connections. Also when you go to settings<-wifi<-wifi direct delete any known groups and retry the pairing process. That seemed to work for us in many cases.

Comment

I've already tried both of those. As I said in the bottom paragraph, we always ensure that the phones are in airplane mode because we have had that problem last year and that was the solution to our problem.
      As for the remembered WiFi direct groups, I saw a video by qualcomm where they went through the process or changing the names of the phones and connecting them through the FTC apps and they made sure to emphasize to remove any remembered groups so we have tried that too. Thank you for trying though, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC10570 View Post
        I've already tried both of those. As I said in the bottom paragraph, we always ensure that the phones are in airplane mode because we have had that problem last year and that was the solution to our problem.
        As for the remembered WiFi direct groups, I saw a video by qualcomm where they went through the process or changing the names of the phones and connecting them through the FTC apps and they made sure to emphasize to remove any remembered groups so we have tried that too. Thank you for trying though, much appreciated.

A misc. suggestion:

Each App has a menu items for performing a self inspection. Try running this option at both ends to see if it discovers any anomaly.
        Any red text indicates a problem.
        Once you have it running, there is a menu '...' that contains three options for clearing away any network "fluff".

Note: You haven't mentioned what phone and Android OS you are running.....
        It may be relevant...

Comment

I began running into this in the last week.
          I'm using a few pairs of Moto G3 phones.
          Any new advice will be welcome.
          Another thing we sometimes see is that it looks connected, but no ping time is showing, and no OpModes are available.
          Thanks,
          Martin Haeberli
          (de-)Mentor, FTC 7593, TigerBots

Comment

Update:
            At least on the Moto G3, Airplane mode doesn't seem to help. In Airplane mode, the two phones just can't see each other at all.
            Eventually, after restarts and a lot of other wrestling, I got it to work...
            But I also experienced "Network : disconnected" and "Network : BAD" at the Drive Station end.
            Also, even though I freshly built and installed the Robot Controller app, the build time was showing as 1979.
            Advice welcome!
            Thanks,
            Martin Haeberli

Comment

Are you doing this work at a school? Some others have reported problems with 'agressive' WiFi management in their school. You may want to try the processes in a 'clean' WiFi-free area if you haven't already.

Comment

Hi!
                We are working sometimes at a school and sometimes at home. I'll try one more time in a "clean" area if / when the problem presents itself again.
                Thanks!
                Martin Haeberli

Comment

Working...
                X