Sensors for the new challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensors for the new challenge

Hello! We are team 7506 and 8866 from Frederick Oklahoma. The is the first year we have enough money to purchase sensors! We are looking for recommendations on which sensors to purchase for this new challenge. We want the color sensor but we were wondering if we would need more than one to "follow" the white line to the beacon. We have never used them before so ANY advice would be appreciated!

If you want to navigate to the beacon autonomously, there are many ways to do it. One could completely rely on vision in which case you just need the camera on the phone. But there is a concern on how far the camera can lock on to the target. You may need to get closer. Once you get in front of the beacon, you need to recognize which side of the beacon is your alliance color. I haven't played with Vuforia yet so I am not sure if the camera can detect the color. In that case you may need a color sensor. If you are not using camera, then you probably want to do line following. In that case, you need encoders, gyro, light/color sensor. Encoder and gyro allows you to go straight and find the white line. Once you find the white line, you use either the light sensor or the color sensor to follow the line to the front of the beacon. You may also need a sensor to detect the distance to the beacon. That could be an ultrasonic or the new Modern Robotics distance sensor. Here is a video of our robot last year doing similar operation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKxQFSHoeU

Comment

Originally posted by mikets View Post
      Once you get in front of the beacon, you need to recognize which side of the beacon is your alliance color. I haven't played with Vuforia yet so I am not sure if the camera can detect the color.[/URL]
      Vuforia can't do that to the best of my knowledge, but the camera itself can do that (if you somehow get frames out of Vuforia into your own code to analyze). We use OpenCV for target tracking using SURF+FLANN+homography so we can simply process the frame in two different ways for higher flexibility.

Additionally, I'm working on starting a small business making a few manufactured FTC sensors; I have an optical navigation sensor on the way that provides tracking of relative motion on a flat surface (similarly to an optical mouse). I have no clue if it will be ready in time for this season, though.
      FTC6460 mentor (software+computer vision+electronics), FPGA enthusiast. In favor of allowing custom electronics on FTC bots.
      Co-founder of ##ftc live chat for FTC programming--currently you may need to join and wait some time for help--volunteer basis only.

Comment

Working...
      X