Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller 180 degree servos by speed, but not position

Hello,

I have been working on trying to get a 180 degree servo to move by speed through a button, but I only know how get it to move to a certain position. So basically when I press the 'A' button on the gamepad, the servo should start moving, but once I release the button, then the servo should stop where it is. I would really appreciate any help as how to accomplish this with Android Studio. I know that it should be possible to do this task, since my team had done this with an arduino controlled 180 degree servo.

Thank you. If possible can someone show me the code for controlling a 180 degree servo with a button just like a continuous rotation servo.

Also the reason I am asking this is because I am going to have the 180 degree servo be able to move to a certain position as well as be manually be controlled like a continuous rotation servo. This is for our competition robot, so any feedback would be very helpful.

Chunky Bears

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a servo.getPosition() method. So, you should manually keep track of the servo.
    Pseudo code:
    double servoPosition;
    Servo servo;
    init() {
    //setup servo
    servoPosition = 0;
    }

loop() {
    if(gamepad1.a) {
    servoPosition += speed;
    servo.setPosition(servoPosition);
    }
    }

Note that the servo position is a double (I think between 0 and 1, inclusive).
    Writing this from my phone, so I'm not 100% sure
    Jaxon Brown
    Team 7203 Founding Member and Programmer

Comment

The PushBot code does this. It is available as a zip file here (http://ssirobotics.lydean-david.net/...hBotSensor.zip). In the PushBotManual.java file (near the bottom), there is a block that uses gamepad2.x and gamepad2.b to open and close the hand incrementally. It uses methods in the base class PushBotHardware called m_hand_position and a_hand_position. The 'a_' version accesses the current value of a class variable, v_servo_left_hand to get the current position of the servo. The 'm_' mutates (changes) the value. The v_servo_left_hand.getPosition call (within a_hand_position) probably returns the contents of a variable inside the FTC SDK that represents the last commanded value to the servo.

So while there is a "servo.getPosition" method in the FTC SDK, the servo itself can't report its current location - there is no signal line coming from the servo back to the servo controller.

The above post is essentially correct, but you won't necessarily need a variable - you can just use the getPosition method.

Comment

It is interesting that the Legacy servos have a "Step Time" parameter in the controller themselves which can be used to make the servo move from one position to another at a smooth, variable speed.

A StepTime of 0 was as fast as possible, a StepTime of 1 was pretty fast, and the movement got slower and slower as the number was increased.

We used this feature quite a bit with our LabVIEW code. It's really great for performing a smooth manipulator action. It's especially useful if you are controlling a larger arm with one or more servos.

I don't know if this register is available in the new CORE servo controllers, but it's not exposed in the API for either the old or the new version.

It's a shame we have to lose some of these features.

The ability to step a servo incrementally as part of the loop() method is OK, but it's still pretty jerky, and the movement rate will depend on the loop() cycle time.

Phil.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a servo.getPosition() method. S
          There is a getPosition method, but it currently returns zero
          in all cases. This is an "unimplemented feature" in the SDK.

But given that the controller has no ability to give a real time
          position in between set points, tracking the last known set point
          is the best practice. If you are relying upon real time position
          to determine if a servo hit a particular set point then you will
          fail as that's impossible with the hardware.

Originally posted by Philbot View Post
          It is interesting that the Legacy servos have a "Step Time" parameter in the controller themselves which can be used to make the servo move from one position to another at a smooth, variable speed.

A StepTime of 0 was as fast as possible, a StepTime of 1 was pretty fast, and the movement got slower and slower as the number was increased.
          We used this feature also, and while it exists in the
          Hitechnic controllers, and likely exists in the MR controllers,
          it's not exposed in the SDK as of the present time.

Comment

Originally posted by skatefriday View Post
            There is a getPosition method, but it currently returns zero
            in all cases. This is an "unimplemented feature" in the SDK.
            Looking at the decompiled code, I see that the HiTechnic Servo Controller implements the method as return 0.0D;
            However, the MR Servo Controller actually does a read:
            byte[] var2 = this.c(a[channel], 1);
            return TypeConversion.unsignedByteToDouble(var2[0]) / 240.0D;

Comment

Originally posted by GearTicks View Post
              Looking at the decompiled code, I see that the HiTechnic Servo Controller implements the method as return 0.0D;
              However, the MR Servo Controller actually does a read:
              byte[] var2 = this.c(a[channel], 1);
              return TypeConversion.unsignedByteToDouble(var2[0]) / 240.0D;
              Good catch. I was looking at the Hitechnic implementation.

Comment

If someone could help locate how the servo acts as a continuous, I'd really appreciate it. The link of the result is: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmXUNfxRVjo". Here's the code:

#ifndef INPUTCONTROL_H
                #define INPUTCONTROL_H

#include "GlobalArm.h"
                #include <Arduino.h>

extern ServoEx ArmServo[5];

//================================================== ===========================
                // DIGITAL INPUT CONFIG...
                //================================================== ===========================

// use #define to set the I/O numbers, since these will never change - this saves us memory while the Arduino is running
                #define BUTTON1 2
                #define BUTTON2 4

//variables to hold the current status of the button.(LOW == unpressed, HIGH = pressed)
                int buttonState1 = LOW;
                int buttonState2 = LOW;
                boolean loopbreak = LOW;

// ANALOG INPUT CONFIG //
                //define analog pins that will be connected to the joystick pins
                #define BASE 0 //connected to Horizontal Axis on Joystick # 1
                #define SHOULDER 1 //connected to Vertical Axis on Joystick # 2
                #define ELBOW 2 //connected to Vertical Axis on Joystick # 3
                #define WRIST 3 //connected to Vertical Axis on Joystick # 4
                #define GRIPPER 4 //connected to Rotation Knob / Potentiometer # 1

//generic deadband limits - not all joystics will center at 512, so these limits remove 'drift' from joysticks that are off-center.
                #define DEADBANDLOW 492 //decrease this value if drift occurs, increase it to increase sensitivity around the center position
                #define DEADBANDHIGH 532 //increase this value if drift occurs, decrease it to increase sensitivity around the center position

//last read values of analog sensors (Native values, 0-1023)
                int joyBaseVal = 0; //present value of the base rotation knob (analog 0)
                int joyShoulderVal = 0; //present value of the shoulder joystick (analog 1)
                int joyElbowVal = 0; //present value of the elbow joystick (analog 2)
                int joyWristVal = 0; //present value of the wrist joystick (analog 3)
                int joyGripperVal = 0; //present value of the gripper rotation knob (analog 4)

//last calculated values of analog sensors (Mapped values)
                //knob values (base and gripper) will be mapped directly to the servo limits
                //joystick values (shoulder, elbow and wrist) will be mapped from -spd to spd, to faciliate incremental control
                float joyBaseMapped = 0; //base knob value, mapped from 1-1023 to BASE_MIN-BASE_MAX
                float joyShoulderMapped = 0; //shoulder joystick value, mapped from 1-1023 to -spd to spd
                float joyElbowMapped = 0; //elbow joystick value, mapped from 1-1023 to -spd to spd
                float joyWristMapped = 0; //wrist joystick value, mapped from 1-1023 to -spd to spd
                float joyGripperMapped = 0; //gripper knob value, mapped from 1-1023 to GRIPPER_MIN-GRIPPER_MAX

float spd = 10.00; //speed modififer, increase this to increase the speed of the movement

float mapfloat(float x, float in_min, float in_max, float out_min, float out_max)
                {
                return (x - in_min) * (out_max - out_min) / (in_max - in_min) + out_min;
                }

/************************************************** ****
                * SetServo()
                * This function sets the 5 servos on the snapper arm
                * to the 5 positions variables. All servos and
                * positions variables are globals
                * Parameters:
                * DeltaTime - interpolation value in mS
                * Globals Used:
                * ArmServo BAS_SERVO
                * ArmServo WRI_SERVO
                * ArmServo SHL_SERVO
                * ArmServo ELB_SERVO
                * ArmServo GRI_SERVO
                * int Base
                * int Wrist
                * int Shoulder
                * int Elbow
                * int Gripper
                * Returns:
                * none
                ************************************************** ****/
                //================================================== =================================================
                // SetServo: Writes Servo Position Solutions
                //================================================== =================================================
                void SetServo(unsigned int DeltaTime)
                {
                ServoGroupMove.start();
                ArmServo[BAS_SERVO].writeMicroseconds(Base + BAS_SERVO_ERROR);
                ArmServo[SHL_SERVO].writeMicroseconds(Shoulder + SHL_SERVO_ERROR);
                ArmServo[ELB_SERVO].writeMicroseconds(Elbow + ELB_SERVO_ERROR);
                ArmServo[WRI_SERVO].writeMicroseconds(Wrist + WRI_SERVO_ERROR);
                ArmServo[GRI_SERVO].writeMicroseconds(Gripper + GRI_SERVO_ERROR);
                ServoGroupMove.commit(DeltaTime);
                }

// ProcessAnalogBackHoe
                void ProcessAnalogBackhoe() {

//read analog values from analog sensors
                joyBaseVal = analogRead(BASE);
                joyShoulderVal = analogRead(SHOULDER);
                joyElbowVal = analogRead(ELBOW);
                joyWristVal = analogRead(WRIST);
                joyGripperVal = analogRead(GRIPPER);
                delay(5);

// Base joint is handled differently depending upon analog control solution. v1.0 Snapper Arms used a rotational knob with direct/absolute control of the base servo, where v1.1 Snapper Arms use an incremental Joystick.
                //
                #ifdef v10
                // joyBaseMapped = mapfloat(joyBaseVal, 1023, 0, BASE_MIN, BASE_MAX); //Mapping analog knob value to servo PWM signal range
                // Base = joyBaseMapped; //set servo position variable to the mapped value from the knob. Absolute/direct control.
                #endif

#ifdef v11
                //only update the base joint if the joystick is outside the deadzone (i.e. moved oustide the center position)
                if(joyBaseVal > DEADBANDHIGH || joyBaseVal < DEADBANDLOW)
                {
                joyBaseMapped = mapfloat(joyBaseVal, 0, 1023, -spd, spd); //Map analog value from native joystick value (0 to 1023) to incremental change (-spd to spd)
                Base += joyBaseMapped; //add mapped base joystick value to present Base Value (positive values of joyBaseMapped will increase the position, negative values will decrease the position)
                }
                #endif

//only update the shoulder joint if the joystick is outside the deadzone (i.e. moved oustide the center position)
                if(joyShoulderVal > DEADBANDHIGH || joyShoulderVal < DEADBANDLOW)
                {
                joyShoulderMapped = mapfloat(joyShoulderVal, 0, 1023, -spd, spd); //Map analog value from native joystick value (0 to 1023) to incremental change (-spd to spd)
                Shoulder = Shoulder - joyShoulderMapped; //add mapped shoulder joystick value to present Shoulder Value (positive values of joyShoulderMapped will increase the position, negative values will decrease the position)
                }

//only update the elbow joint if the joystick is outside the deadzone (i.e. moved oustide the center position)
                if(joyElbowVal > DEADBANDHIGH || joyElbowVal < DEADBANDLOW)
                {
                joyElbowMapped = mapfloat(joyElbowVal, 0, 1023, -spd, spd); //Map analog value from native joystick value (0 to 1023) to incremental change (-spd to spd)
                Elbow = Elbow + joyElbowMapped;//add mapped elbow joystick value to present elbow Value (positive values of joyElbowMapped will increase the position, negative values will decrease the position)
                }

//only update the wrist joint if the joystick is outside the deadzone (i.e. moved oustide the center position)
                if(joyWristVal > DEADBANDHIGH || joyWristVal < DEADBANDLOW)
                {
                joyWristMapped = mapfloat(joyWristVal, 0, 1023, -spd, spd); //Map analog value from native joystick value (0 to 1023) to incremental change (-spd to spd)
                Wrist = Wrist + joyWristMapped;//add mapped wrist joystick value to present wrist Value (positive values of joyWristMapped will increase the position, negative values will decrease the position)
                }

//Mapping analog joystick value to servo PWM signal range
                joyGripperMapped = mapfloat(joyGripperVal, 0, 1023, GRIPPER_MIN, GRIPPER_MAX);
                Gripper = joyGripperMapped;//set servo position variable to the mapped value from the knob

//enforce upper/lower limits for servo position variable
                //(actual servo positions min/max are setup above as a part of .attach(), this is just for variable)
                if (Base < BASE_MIN)
                {
                Base =BASE_MIN;
                }
                else if (Base > BASE_MAX)
                {
                Base =BASE_MAX;
                }

//enforce upper/lower limits for shoulder servo
                if (Shoulder < SHOULDER_MIN)
                {
                Shoulder =SHOULDER_MIN;
                }

else if (Shoulder > SHOULDER_MAX)
                {
                Shoulder =SHOULDER_MAX;
                }

//enforce upper/lower limits for elbow servo
                if (Elbow < ELBOW_MIN)
                {
                Elbow = ELBOW_MIN;
                }
                else if (Elbow > ELBOW_MAX)
                {
                Elbow = ELBOW_MAX;
                }

//enforce upper/lower limits for wrist servo
                if (Wrist < WRIST_MIN)
                {
                Wrist = WRIST_MIN;
                }

else if (Wrist > WRIST_MAX)
                {
                Wrist =WRIST_MAX;
                }

//enforce upper/lower limits for gripper servo
                if (Gripper < GRIPPER_MIN)
                {
                Gripper =GRIPPER_MIN;
                }
                else if (Gripper > GRIPPER_MAX)
                {
                Gripper = GRIPPER_MAX;
                }

//Function to set PWM Servo positions
                SetServo(0);

}

#endif

Comment

Working...
                X