Testing w/o robot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing w/o robot

The ModernRoboticsInc modules are not yet available for teams. I was trying to do some experiments with two phones without robot. Perhaps, I was not trying hard enough, but the end result was that everything seems to work properly after downloading the RC from AS and still no listing of OpModes was shown on DS.

Has anybody been successful with Android Studio to down load the OpModes into Robot Controller and then to browse them with Driver Station? What was the secret?

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
    The ModernRoboticsInc modules are not yet available for teams. I was trying to do some experiments with two phones without robot. Perhaps, I was not trying hard enough, but the end result was that everything seems to work properly after downloading the RC from AS and still no listing of OpModes was shown on DS.

Has anybody been successful with Android Studio to down load the OpModes into Robot Controller and then to browse them with Driver Station? What was the secret?
    Don't know if it's a secret.....

I found that you had to create a NullOp (no hardware) Configuration on the robot first so it will go to the main activity. Just create a New Configuration and immediately save it as "NullOp".
    The Robot should then go to the "running" state.

Then as soon as the DS connects to the robot (need to use the DS Settings menu option to select robot) you can hit "Select" to see a list of available opmodes.

Where is this breaking down for you?

BTW, To make the whole connection process simpler, you should assign WiFi direct device names to your Phones.

Go to the Settings-WiFi and then click the three dost icon at the bottom right. Select Wi-Fi Direct
    Then Click the three Dots Icon at the bottom of this page and use the Rename Device option.

In a crowded room it will be nice to be able to clearly ID your phones, so I'd suggest: "#### Robot" and "#### Driver" (where ### is your team number).

Note: these names only show up when binding your devices together, not for general Wi Fi.

Comment

I am lost or have a different version of RC. When in Load Configuration File page, I click New button, I can see the Scan button and error message

No Device Found

This is an infinite loop without the robot.

Comment

I am lost or have a different version of RC. When in Load Configuration File page, I click New button, I can see the Scan button and error message

No Device Found

This is an infinite loop without the robot.
        OK, that's fine.

Start the app, and hit the "New" button.

Once you get to that screen, there will be a "Save Configuration" at the bottom.

Just click the Save button and name it "NullOp". Use this same capitalization.

Now just hit the back button (return arrow on the bottom left of the display) a couple of times.

It should get you back to the main robot screen which will show a running robot status.

In future it will go straight to Running.

Phil.

Comment

Thanks Phil,

Obviously I was not trying hard enough. In real life, I have observed that things are very easy when you know the answers. Sometimes, we just don't know where to look.

Comment

Thanks Phil,

Obviously I was not trying hard enough. In real life, I have observed that things are very easy when you know the answers. Sometimes, we just don't know where to look.
            I feel for you. I'm still finding the Android GUI a little off-putting.
            The "Back" function seems to be overused for just ending actions, and I still find myself missing the three little dots at the top or bottom of the screen for "more" stuff.

Phil.

Comment

I'm getting some inconsistent results with the Driver Station. It looks like a have a valid connection from the DS to RC. The DS initially has current op mode = "Stop Robot" with start buttons deactivated. Then they become activated when I select the NullOp op mode. However the current op mode does not change from "Stop Robot" . It just shows NullOp as "queued".

Here is where I see the inconsistency:

When in this state, sometimes I can hit the start button and indeed see that the current op mode has changed to "NullOp" and begin to see its corresponding telemetry. However on other occasions , hitting the start button merely removes the NullOp from the queue and leave current op mode = "Stop Robot" .

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comment

I have experienced the same inconsistency and have not found the logic behind the observations.

But for some reason, I have still been able to do all my testing without any real hindrance by this.

Comment

Working...
                X