Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can hear when you don't have the latest firmware installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can hear when you don't have the latest firmware installed.

Since I'm nearly a Senior Citizen, the frequency range of my hearing cuts out in the low teens in terms of KHz.
    So, because of this, when I watch robot videos, or see them run live, I can tell if that robot is running OLD firmware in the Expansion hub.

Note: I just watched a new robot reveal today and it was screaming at me...... "Update Me!!!!"

The Reason.... The older Rev 1.7.0 firmware modulates the Motor PWM at 1 KHz, where as the newer 1.8.2 modulates it at 10 kHz.

This has the advantage of increasing motor efficiency, and active breaking, but it also moved the annoying motor whine out of my audible range. Yay !!!
    You can hear this whine when the motors are attempting to move with less than 100% power levels.

Other than improving the PWM frequency, Rev 1.8.2 added some critical ESD (Static) recovery code, so you robot isn't killed by a static discharge, so it's IMPERATIVE that you should be running the latest firmware in ALL of your Expansion Hubs.

You can also see you firmware rev on the Driver Station's Inspection screen (RC) , but the whine is a giveaway to me.
    So, coaches, if you can hear the motors whine like an annoying mosquito, it's time to upgrade.

Here is the user guide for doing so...

https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...n-Hub-Firmware

Originally posted by Philbot View Post
    Since I'm nearly a Senior Citizen, the frequency range of my hearing cuts out in the low teens in terms of KHz.
    So, because of this, when I watch robot videos, or see them run live, I can tell if that robot is running OLD firmware in the Expansion hub...
    It is great to know that, with all of the negative physiological changes that take place with aging, there are a few beneficial changes to look forward to [at least as it pertains to robotics -- which is all that really matters]. Live long and prosper Phil !!!

Comment

Working...
    X