Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Tusita USB Hub adapter a power hub?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Tusita USB Hub adapter a power hub?

I bought this hub after reading lots of posts here. I've tried looking at the description/specs from several sites, but I haven't found any where I can understand what they are saying in the poor translation. It occurred to me that this might not be what I assumed it was.

Does this hub supply power to the web cam and Rev Hub, taking the load off of the phone? Or does it just charge the phone in charge mode, and is a non-powered hub in OTG mode?

https://www.amazon.com/TUSITA-Adapto.../dp/B00LTHBCNM

I've tried to do some testing.
    First of all our Moto G2 and E4 are working with a non-powered hub. We are occasionally having disconnects now that we added the web cam. Other posts in the forum indicate it shouldn't be working at all. I thought we should try a powered hub to see if that resolved the issue.
    With the Tusita the robot works (opmode runs, gamepad controls robot) with the switch in either charge or OTC mode, which according to posts shouldn't be happening.

Another test I tried was to put a mouse, keyboard, and gamepad on the driver station phone, added a battery on the charge port, set the mode to charge on the hub and let it sit. The driver station charge percentage decreased.

Short of cutting open some usb cables and measuring voltages at the phone and at the downstream devices, I'm not sure how to tell what this hub does or doesn't do.

Originally posted by 3805Mentor View Post
    ... With the Tusita the robot works (opmode runs, gamepad controls robot) with the switch in either charge or OTG mode, which according to posts shouldn't be happening.
    Some phones can maintain USB connection while charging.

Originally posted by 3805Mentor View Post
    Another test I tried was to put a mouse, keyboard, and gamepad on the driver station phone, added a battery on the charge port, set the mode to charge on the hub and let it sit. The driver station charge percentage decreased...
    It depends on how much power the the other devices are drawing and how much power the battery is supplying. Is the phone indicating that it is charging with the other other devices connected (or not connected) to the hub?

Comment

Working...
    X