No announcement yet.

Moto E4 Phones Disconnecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thanks... We have a several Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen phones. If we use the Moto G 2nd Gen phones for the DS and the Moto G5 or G5 Plus phones for the RC, the workaround is not needed. We won't be able use 5 GHz, but we will be able to use 2.4 GHz without the workaround. Is this correct?

Comment

Also, if you change the Wi-Fi frequency band setting on the Moto G5 Driver Station phone to 5 GHz only (or 2.4 GHz only), would this resolve the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post
        Ok thanks... We have a several Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen phones. If we use the Moto G 2nd Gen phones for the DS and the Moto G5 or G5 Plus phones for the RC, the workaround is not needed. We won't be able use 5 GHz, but we will be able to use 2.4 GHz without the workaround. Is this correct?
        Hi Alex,

Yes, to the best of our knowledge yes, if you use the older phones as the Driver Stations you should not need the workaround.

Also, thank you for the tip on the Wi-Fi Frequency Band. Perhaps by setting it to one band or the other it might resolve the issue! GREAT suggestion! We'll test this.

Tom

Comment

Alec,

Do you only see that "Wi-Fi Frequency Band" option on the E4 phones? I do not see that setting on my E5 phone (which is also a dual-band phone).

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
            Alec,

Do you only see that "Wi-Fi Frequency Band" option on the E4 phones? I do not see that setting on my E5 phone (which is also a dual-band phone).

Tom
            I don't have an Moto E4 or G5. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo (XT1254) running Android 6.0.1 (i.e. non-FTC phone).

The "Wi-Fi frequency band" setting on the Droid Turbo is located at [ Settings / Wi-Fi / ... / Advanced / Wi-Fi frequency band ].

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post

Yes, to the best of our knowledge yes, if you use the older phones as the Driver Stations you should not need the workaround.

Also, thank you for the tip on the Wi-Fi Frequency Band. Perhaps by setting it to one band or the other it might resolve the issue! GREAT suggestion! We'll test this.

Tom

Out of curiosity, is the workaround still needed for the 5.0 (Skystone) version of the app? I've looked at the README/ChangeLog to see if this problem has been addressed but wasn't able to find any mentions of it.

Thanks!

Pm

Comment

Originally posted by FTC7172 View Post

Out of curiosity, is the workaround still needed for the 5.0 (Skystone) version of the app? I've looked at the README/ChangeLog to see if this problem has been addressed but wasn't able to find any mentions of it.

Thanks!

Pm
                The workaround is no longer needed in v5.x https://github.com/FIRST-Tech-Challe...ster/README.md

Comment

Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

The workaround is no longer needed in v5.x https://github.com/FIRST-Tech-Challe...ster/README.md
                  To clarify - v 5.x software has a keep alive feature. If it detects that the phone is a motorola phone, and it has a 5GHz radio, then the software sends additional keep alive messages during a match (when an op mode is initialized and when it's running) to suppress the scan feature of the motorola phones.

Unfortunately,Motorola phones still will "commandeer" the wifi radio and use it to scan the spectrum (2.4GHz and 5GHz ranges) if it thinks the radios are free/unused. The changes in v5.0 should prevent this from happening during a match when the Robot is in an initialized or active state.

However, I believe that during idle times (when you do not have an op mode initialized or running) the apps do not send the keep alive (to conserve bandwidth). I believe that it's possible that you might on rare occasion hear the motorola phones momentarily disconnect then reconnect when they are idle and I suspect that it's due to this scan feature from the manufacturer (which unfortunately we cannot control).
                  Last edited by Tom Eng; 08-01-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X