X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alec
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
    ... Regarding the status of using a G5 Plus, I think the best place to ask the question is on the Q&A forum. I am unable to rule on its legality for use in FTC...
    A phone cannot be legal unless the Tech Team has tested it. Your previous posts suggest that the Tech Team has tested the Moto G5 Plus. Please confirm that the Tech Team has tested this variant of the G5 so that we can have a basis for seeking a ruling from the Q&A forum.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Eng
    replied
    Hi Folks - just some additional info...

I believe the G5 Plus phone is very similar to the G5 phone, except it has a larger screen and a metal backing. Regarding the status of using a G5 phone, I think the best place to ask the question is on the Q&A forum. I am unable to rule on its legality for use in FTC.

We have reached out to some contacts and have brought this issue to the attention of Motorola. I'll update the forum when we learn more about the issue.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• 4634 Programmer
    replied
    Thanks all for the detailed info. We'll check this out. I wonder if this is some type of power save issue (just thinking out loud - I do not have any evidence that it is).
    I think that's actually a very good hunch. My guess is that the radio is idling because of the low bandwidth usage. I've actually seen evidence of this on our Nexus 5s - when sitting idle the ping is ~25ms, but if I start moving around the analog sticks, it immediately drops to ~3ms

Leave a comment:

• Alec
    replied
    ... The workaround prescribed for the E4 phone also works for the G5 or G5 Plus phones.
    Thanks Tom. Does this mean you heave tested and approved the Moto G5 Plus phone, i.e. it is now legal?

Leave a comment:

• Tom Eng
    replied
    Hi Folks - Note that this problem is not limited to the Motorola E4 phone. The same behavior occurs for the Moto G5 and G5 Plus phones. If these phones are used as a Driver Station and are in the waitForStart state for a period of time (which has been observed in as little as 30 seconds, or as long as 3 minutes) the Driver Station phone can disconnect momentarily from the Robot Controller.

The workaround prescribed for the E4 phone also works for the G5 or G5 Plus phones.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Eng
    replied
    Thank you everyone for the feedback and troubleshooting. This specific issue was not revealed when we tested the phones this past summer. The workaround appears to be sending telemetry messages while waiting for a start command.

I've updated the Troubleshooting section of the GitHub ftc_app Wiki to include details on how to avoid this problem for Blocks and Java programmers:

https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...eported-102018

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Eng; 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thensley
    replied
    We were using "while !isStarted()" but not sending any telemetry back to the phone so we replaced the while !isStarted() with "
    while (!opModeIsActive()&&!isStopRequested()) { telemetry.addData("Status", "Waiting in Init"); telemetry.update(); }" and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help guys! Cheer4FTC

Leave a comment:

• Cheer4FTC
    replied
    thensley The workaround is to add a telemetry message during init_loop (or while waiting after init in a LinearOpMode). This seems to prevent it from disconnecting.

Leave a comment:

• thensley
    replied
    Tom Eng has there been an update?

Leave a comment:

• thensley
    replied
    We checked the sleep timer and it is set at 30 mins but we lose connection between 30 and 45 seconds. Is FIRST still working on this?

Leave a comment:

• Philbot
    replied
    Huh... if it is a screen inactivity timeout, can you check to see if the sleep timer is set to a really short time eg: 1 min.
    If so, can you extend the sleep time out, and test again.

Leave a comment:

• Philbot
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheer4FTC View Post
    but if I comment out the 2 telemetry lines, it disconnects after 30-60 seconds. So this does seem to point towards some timeout issue in the Moto E4 driver station if it doesn't get any messages for a while
    Sorry, I edited my last post badly...

I was asking if you could send a Driver Station log file showing the disconnect.

It's probably doing it all the time when app is sitting idle, but you just don't notice it until you init the opmode.

Leave a comment:

• Philbot
    replied
    [QUOTE=Cheer4FTC;n67270]Good thinking, gorpong ! If I run a basic linear opMode with the following code replacing waitForStart(), it seems to sit in init just fine.
    Code:
    while (!opModeIsActive()&&!isStopRequested()) { telemetry.addData("Status", "Waiting in Init"); telemetry.update(); }
    but if I comment out the 2 telemetry lines, it disconnects after 30-60 seconds. So this does seem to point towards some timeout issue in the Moto E4 driver station if it doesn't get any messages for a while.

Any chance of getting a Driver Station log with the fail in it.
    Seems like the smoking gun would be in there...

Leave a comment:

• Tom Eng
    replied
    Thanks all for the detailed info. We'll check this out. I wonder if this is some type of power save issue (just thinking out loud - I do not have any evidence that it is).

Leave a comment:

• Cheer4FTC
    replied
    Good thinking, gorpong ! If I run a basic linear opMode with the following code replacing waitForStart(), it seems to sit in init just fine.
    Code:

while (!opModeIsActive()&&!isStopRequested()) {     telemetry.addData("Status", "Waiting in Init");     telemetry.update(); }
    but if I comment out the 2 telemetry lines, it disconnects after 30-60 seconds. So this does seem to point towards some timeout issue in the Moto E4 driver station if it doesn't get any messages for a while.

FTC11180 , try replacing your waitForStart() with the above code and see if that possible workaround addresses your issues until the real bug can be found and fixed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X