Problem with updating REV Expansion Hub Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with updating REV Expansion Hub Firmware

We are gearing up for this year's season, but we're running into a problem.

We are unable to update our REV Expansion hubs to the latest firmware (1.8.2).

We are trying both methods, via the Robot Controller app, by copying the newest firmware to the FIRST/updates/Expansion Hub Firmware folder, and via the Hub Interface Software.

With the Robot Controller app, we get an error message stating that it cannot find an update file. The update file is definitely where it's supposed to be.

With the Hub Interface Software, we are never able to connect the hub to the software. It stays as disconnected, preventing us from flashing the firmware.

Has anyone else run into this and found a solution?

I'm sure it's something easy that I'm overlooking.

I appreciate the help.

computerninja - I'm sorry you are having issues with the firmware update. i have some questions about your update process...

1. Which version of the FTC robot Controller app are you using to attempt the update? Is it version 4.0?
    2. When you say the update file is definitely where it's supposed to be.. could you elaborate? Did you use the web management interface to upload the new firmware file or did you use adb? if you used adb can you shell into the Robot controller phone and confirm the path/location of the 1.8.2 binary file?
    3. If you have confirmed that the binary (.bin) file is in the correct directory ("/sdcard/FIRST/updates/Expansion Hub Firmware") then have you tried power cycling your RC android device, then reattempting the firmware update?

One thing that i have found with using the RC app to issue the firmware update is that in our testing, sometimes it would fail arbitrarily. The update would proceed and I would see the progress bar displayed on the RC and DS user interfaces. Then the progress bar would freeze, and the update would fail.

This was very frustrating, but what I eventually would have to do for this scenario would be to reattempt the update again with the RC app. Eventually the update would work. I believe that sometimes I would have to disconnect the USB cable and power cycle the Expansion Hub, before I reattempted the update.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by computerninja View Post
      With the Hub Interface Software, we are never able to connect the hub to the software. It stays as disconnected, preventing us from flashing the firmware.
      I had this happen to me and even clicking on the connect, it would never connect. It ended up that I had an Arduino compatible board hooked up to the computer, also, and it was the first serial port listed in Device Manager. When I disconnected the board from the computer, the REV software could then find and connect to the expansion hub and I was able to proceed with flashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
        computerninja - I'm sorry you are having issues with the firmware update. i have some questions about your update process...

1. Which version of the FTC robot Controller app are you using to attempt the update? Is it version 4.0?
        2. When you say the update file is definitely where it's supposed to be.. could you elaborate? Did you use the web management interface to upload the new firmware file or did you use adb? if you used adb can you shell into the Robot controller phone and confirm the path/location of the 1.8.2 binary file?
        3. If you have confirmed that the binary (.bin) file is in the correct directory ("/sdcard/FIRST/updates/Expansion Hub Firmware") then have you tried power cycling your RC android device, then reattempting the firmware update?

One thing that i have found with using the RC app to issue the firmware update is that in our testing, sometimes it would fail arbitrarily. The update would proceed and I would see the progress bar displayed on the RC and DS user interfaces. Then the progress bar would freeze, and the update would fail.

This was very frustrating, but what I eventually would have to do for this scenario would be to reattempt the update again with the RC app. Eventually the update would work. I believe that sometimes I would have to disconnect the USB cable and power cycle the Expansion Hub, before I reattempted the update.

Tom
        We are using version 4.0 of the app. We actually got the boards updated using the app, but never the hub interface software on the PC. On the app, I wasn't clicking yes to allow the app to access the phone's storage... don't know what I was thinking! I was just dismissing that prompt. I put the file there using Android File Transfer on my Mac.

We can consider this half-solved since I can't connect via the hub interface.

Rev Robotics wrote me and said I should try installing the FTDI drivers manually.

In their own words:
        Windows 7 may need the driver for the FTDI chip which is found here: Website for Expansion Hub drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Comment

What phone and version of Android were you using? We haven't implemented runtime permissions yet, so I'm very surprised you got a prompt asking to access the storage .

Comment

Originally posted by NoahAndrews View Post
            What phone and version of Android were you using? We haven't implemented runtime permissions yet, so I'm very surprised you got a prompt asking to access the storage .
            Good question... it's the phones that most teams had last year... one of the basic Motorola phones... Android version - whatever was on those phones. I can check tomorrow night at our meeting and circle back.

Comment

Good question... it's the phones that most teams had last year... one of the basic Motorola phones... Android version - whatever was on those phones. I can check tomorrow night at our meeting and circle back.
              It has Marshmallow.

Comment

We can consider this half-solved since I can't connect via the hub interface.

Rev Robotics wrote me and said I should try installing the FTDI drivers manually.

In their own words:
                Windows 7 may need the driver for the FTDI chip which is found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
                Did the update to the drivers get the REV Hub Interface Software up and running?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Kaurich View Post

Did the update to the drivers get the REV Hub Interface Software up and running?
                  Good question... I haven't tried yet. Been absent from a few meetings and the rest of the SW folks have been plowing ahead (basically it's put on the back-burner for the time being).

Comment

I ran into another issue with the firmware update 1.8.2. I took the Robot Controller route: downloaded the bin file, put in under FIRST/updates/Expansion Hub Firmware on Moto G Android v 6.0.1, plugged the Hub to the battery and the phone. Started the firmware update. The blue light on the hub disappeared during the update. The progress bar moved reasonably quickly till it reached 65%. It got stuck there for a long period of time. Then a "Failed update try again"message came up. The light on the Hub was still off. I tried to do the update again, but the error is thrown immediately. The hub appears to be dead. I turned it off and back on several times but the light would not come on. Great! It is the last thing the team needs 2 weeks before the first game.
                    Can anyone provide any suggestions as to how to revive the hub and install the update? Thanks in advance!

Comment

I was able to flash via Rev's PC app. Both hubs seem to be working fine.
                      It'd be still good to know why the update via phone stopped mid-way and brought the hub into a non-functioning state.

Comment

Originally posted by sjeltuhin View Post
                        I was able to flash via Rev's PC app. Both hubs seem to be working fine.
                        It'd be still good to know why the update via phone stopped mid-way and brought the hub into a non-functioning state.
                        https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app/issues/562

Comment

I was able to update our hubs using the RC method. Phone: Nexus 5. Android version: 6.01. Robot controller version: 3.7. I used the procedure on REV's website (http://www.revrobotics.com/software/...ionHubFirmware). Hub tested afterward on a tank drive robot with OpenCV 3.4.2 vision. This is what sjeltuhin did on 10/6 (post #10), and it worked for me.

Glad to see he got it fixed next day using the REV Hub Interface Software available on that same page.

Comment

I'm having problems upgrading the firmware on just one of my six expansion hubs. On my other five hubs, I was able to simple plus the hug into my laptop via the USB port, invoke the "REV Hub Interface" software, select the 1.8.2 binary file, click "Connect", and after completion, the yellow light appeared and was flashing. On my 6th hub, when I plug it into my laptop via the USB, no lights appear...so I have to attach a battery to it. Then I follow the same steps as outlined above using the "REV Hub Interface" software. However, once teh firmware update is completed, a solid blue light appears, but no yellow flashing light. As a result, I'm suspecting my 6th hub is defective. Do others agree of a defective hub...or possibly something else that may be unique with this one hub that it seems to get no power when plugged into my laptop?

Comment

The yellow flashing light was a feature added with Rev 1.7 (I think that was the version).

A yellow (orange actually) flashing light means that you are only powering the Expansion hub from the USB cable. More specifically, it means that the main input voltage is as low as 5V

This is to alert you that you need to turn on your main 12V power.
                              None of the motors or servos will run if the 12V is not switched on.

So, just power down the 12V on your hub #6 (with it connected to the PC) and you should see the flashing orange.
                              If you don't, then it may mean that the 5V power is not getting through on the USB cable.
                              Since you are obviously talking to the hub, it may mean that the gnd and data is OK, but not the 5V

I would first try using that hub with your phone... ie: plug in a usb cable, connect 12V and try to scan it with the Robot Configuration portion of the RC app.

If it sees the hub, then it does sound like your incoming USB 5V is bad.

Just know that it's not "required" that the hub be powered by the USB. In some ways it's actually better for it to not use the phone's 5V.
                              But strictly speaking, if this is the case, I would say that your hub has an internal failure that you may want to get fixed if you were concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X