External USB camera with Rev Robotics Expansion Hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External USB camera with Rev Robotics Expansion Hub

I am trying to figure out if we can use the option of the external USB camera. We are trying to use only the Rev Robotics Expansion hub, but I need to know how I would wire the external camera to work with this device. I can understand how to connect the PDM via the USB port and then attach the phone and the external camera to the PDM, but this seems risky. Does anyone else have any other options?

Cameras probably won't work through the PDM, because it doesn't support hi-speed USB. You'll probably need to use a regular USB hub, which is now legal. Note that for now, only unpowered hubs are legal, which may cause issues with some camera/phone combinations.

There's no way to do this without a USB hub of some kind.

Comment

Hi, could you please explain how to connect USB Webcam using USB hub to Rev Expansion hub?

Comment

My team is exploring the idea of a webcam as well - we have found the sample op modes on GitHub, https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app...eral-Detection, but are struggling to find info on the hardware. How do we connect the webcam to the bot?

Comment

Get a powered USB hub and connect it to your Robot Controller phone. I suggest a USB hub that has ESD protecton such as this one

Connect your USB webcam(s) to your powered USB hub. Also connect your rev expansion hubs and/or your PDM, as applicable, to your powered USB hub.

You can power the USB hub directly from the 12V robot battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post
            Get a powered USB hub and connect it to your Robot Controller phone. I suggest a USB hub that has ESD protecton such as this one

Connect your USB webcam(s) to your powered USB hub. Also connect your rev expansion hubs and/or your PDM, as applicable, to your powered USB hub.

You can power the USB hub directly from the 12V robot battery.
            Thay would be illegal per RE14. The USB hub must be lowered from the 5v aux port on the Hub or a USB battery pack.

Comment

Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

Thay would be illegal per RE14. The USB hub must be powered from the 5v aux port on the Hub or a USB battery pack.
              Ok, thanks. I have not found a USB hub powered at 5V that features ESD protection. The GDC has already changed the rules concerning USB hubs. I suggest it is worthwhile to ask the GDC to change the rules a bit further for the sake of ESD protection.

It may also be worthwhile to ask the GDC to have the option to forgo the PDM when using a powered USB hub. You can get a powered USB hub with 7, 10, or 12 ports with ESD protection on each port. The PDM is slower than a COTS hub, doesn't claim ESD protection, and is a [expensive] point of failure when connected to a upstream powered USB hub with ESD protection. Maybe CDIM sensor latencies can be reduced if connected to a faster USB bus than the PDM.

Comment

Working...
              X