Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moto G Phone app disconnecting/freezing/white screen

Hello,

Our team recently switched from the ZTE to the Moto G phones with the newest versions of the RC and DS apps, and we like a lot of things about them. Unfortunately, we have been running into some problems and was wondering if anyone else is seeing this:

When running TeleOp, the phones will randomly lose connection. Sometimes we try pressing stop on the DS and it doesn't register. Sometimes we force kill the DS app and the RC still thinks it's running teleop but we can't reconnect (no ping). Then we try to restart the robot from the RC app, which often freezes the app and does nothing. Then we force kill the RC app and start it up again, but all that appears is a blank white screen. We force kill again and start it again (sometimes with a 30-second power cycle of the robot at this point as well), and it often seems to work (but the driver station connection flickers in and out and only sometimes stays on without some more resetting).

Anyone else seeing anything like this? Any ideas what might be causing it or how to fix it?

Then we try to restart the robot from the RC app, which often freezes the app and does nothing
    Is the RC phone hanging at the "Restarting robot" message? I have seen this in person and others have complained about it; see this thread, for example.

The core problem, though, is that you're losing connection in TeleOp. Given the "we try pressing stop on the DS and it doesn't register" symptom, it seems like a WiFi problem. Is there anything in the logs on the RC? You might have to experiment a bit; try manually turning off WiFi on the DS and see what messages appear in the RC logs; if the same messages appear when you inadvertently lose connection, then WiFi is almost certainly the culprit. Maybe you're using the same channel as the school's WiFi, or there's some other interference. Perhaps the phone's antennae are shielded by the robot in certain orientations?
    John McDonnell
    Co-Mentor, Team 5873
    https://www.facebook.com/Team5873

Comment

John,

Thanks for the ideas! I'll try and test some of those out if it is still giving us trouble. The RC phone is freezing as soon as we select "restart robot" from the list. We don't see anything saying "restarting robot", just see the list option to restart highlighted, and nothing happens when we tap on it or tap elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMcDonnell View Post
        Is the RC phone hanging at the "Restarting robot" message? I have seen this in person and others have complained about it; see this thread, for example.

The core problem, though, is that you're losing connection in TeleOp. Given the "we try pressing stop on the DS and it doesn't register" symptom, it seems like a WiFi problem. Is there anything in the logs on the RC? You might have to experiment a bit; try manually turning off WiFi on the DS and see what messages appear in the RC logs; if the same messages appear when you inadvertently lose connection, then WiFi is almost certainly the culprit. Maybe you're using the same channel as the school's WiFi, or there's some other interference. Perhaps the phone's antennae are shielded by the robot in certain orientations?
        YES. We experienced this all weekend with the new version of the FTC SDK (v1.6). This release broke something. If the RC craps out due to ESD, Low Voltage of 12VDC battery, or whatever, restarting from DS no longer works. The "Restarting Robot" message is stuck on the screen, and there is no way out of it except to reboot the RC phone.

Can Tom Eng or someone from FIRST please comment on this? The silence over this new issue is deafening, and you've got South Supers starting in ONE DAY!!!

We are unfortunately going back to v1.5 of the SDK which is disappointing.

- The Lazybotts

Comment

@FTC6389: Are there any logs available that exhibit the freezing?

Comment

Originally posted by FTC0417 View Post
            @FTC6389: Are there any logs available that exhibit the freezing?
            We will work on getting those posted in the next 24 hours

- The Lazybotts

Comment

I don't know about the new SDK (1.6), but I've never seen something like this with 1.5.
              Programmer for Team 4997 Masquerade -- 2012 World Champions, 2014 - 2016 Division Finalists
              Founding Member of Team 6433 Neutrinos -- 2015 World Champions

Check out my intro video to the new tech platform
              Check out my team's Robot Reveal for Res-Q

Comment

No we never did either. Are you planning to use v1.6?

Comment

Originally posted by FTC6389 View Post
                  No we never did either. Are you planning to use v1.6?
                  I was planning on using it after our superregional tournament (which is tomorrow through Friday), but it appears that it isn't working correctly, so I will hold off until I get confirmation that it works.
                  Programmer for Team 4997 Masquerade -- 2012 World Champions, 2014 - 2016 Division Finalists

Comment

Originally posted by FTC6389 View Post
                    We will work on getting those posted in the next 24 hours

- The Lazybotts
                    We spent several hours trying to get the RC to crash with the "Restarting Robot" message, but were unsuccessful. No changes have been made, we are still on FTC SDK v1.6 at this point, but it is unsettling that we could not reproduce the issue. We even purposefully shocked the robot with the Fun Fly Stick with a jolt of 20Kv. All the servos freaked out, but we never lost connection. We will try some more today.

- The Lazybotts

Comment

Has anyone tried v1.7 with the Moto G's? I am thinking about skipping from v1.5 to v1.7 if it doesn't cause any issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X