Connecting Core Device Interface to Arduino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Core Device Interface to Arduino

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to connect the CDIM to an Arduino Uno? I'm just getting into Arduino and I was hoping to use the FTC sensor module. My Arduino runs on 5V, and so does the sensor module, how would I go about connecting it?

This is illegal. Arduinos and other "computers" are not allowed.
    Programmer for Team 4997 Masquerade -- 2012 World Champions, 2014 - 2016 Division Finalists
    Founding Member of Team 6433 Neutrinos -- 2015 World Champions

Check out my intro video to the new tech platform
    Check out my team's Robot Reveal for Res-Q

Comment

Originally posted by Michael8461 View Post
      Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to connect the CDIM to an Arduino Uno? I'm just getting into Arduino and I was hoping to use the FTC sensor module. My Arduino runs on 5V, and so does the sensor module, how would I go about connecting it?
      As Varun notes, an arduino can not be used in competition. Hopefully the GDC will
      loosen the rules in future years, but in the meantime there's nothing that says you
      can't have fun and experiment outside the boundaries of a competition.

There's a number of ways you can integrate an arduino. Draw 5 volts through the
      usb hub in the CPDM, or build a 7805 based voltage regulation circuit and draw 5
      volts directly from the CPDM's power bus. Then use the CDIM's ports to communicate
      with the arduino. Which ports you choose to use depends upon your application.

I don't know what the FTC sensor module is. More specifics would be needed to go
      into any further detail.

Comment

Originally posted by skatefriday View Post
        I don't know what the FTC sensor module is.
        I think he is referring to the Core Device Interface Module.

Comment

A most expensive Arduino, but anyone know anything about this, possibly next year?

http://www.modernroboticsinc.com/cor...tan-controller

Comment

This is not the classic Core Device Interface module, but the new Core Spartan Controller. They look similar and share some technology, but are used in different ways.

The price of Spartan is too high. Similar functionality is available with Arduino Mega clone and sensor shield for $10.

Comment

I know this is not legal in competition, but I would like to see if I can read the sensor values through the CDIM with an Arduino, because I want to learn more about Arduino and circuitry over the summer. If anyone has a simplistic tutorial, or has done this before, I would love some help. And I meant the CDIM when I called it the "FTC sensor module", sorry about the mix-up. Like I said, I'm very new to building circuits and Arduino, so please bear with me as I'm probably not going to know many of the terms.

Comment

Your best bet is to probably use I2C ("eye squared cee") communication between the 'Duino and the CDIM. This is a good tutorial about I2C, And here is a tutorial for arduino I2C. Hope that helps!

Comment

Hm, I thought about trying to use I2C to connect each sensor individually, but I didn't think I had the know-how for it. Is there some sort of cable that I could make/buy that goes from the CDIM's USB port to a port on the Arduino? What port would I connect it to?

Comment

Hm, I thought about trying to use I2C to connect each sensor individually, but I didn't think I had the know-how for it. Is there some sort of cable that I could make/buy that goes from the CDIM's USB port to a port on the Arduino? What port would I connect it to?
                    I was thinking that the two could communicate with the I2C pins on the arduino and the I2C port on the CDIM.

Comment

We have several issues with these alternatives:

1. Using USB: The USB port in Arduino is connected to a circuit that converts USB protocol into serial protocol. The applications running in Arduino cannot use the USB for anything else than serial communication. In other words, it cannot be connected to CDIM.

2. Using I2C: The "normal" Arduino has only one I2C port. The "advanced" Arduinos, such as Teensy and STM32F103, have multiple ports. Multiple ports are required to have connection both for the CDIM and the actual I2C devices. The CDIM can act only as I2C master and it that sense it always requires a "real" master connected through the USB cable.

The basic issue still is, what can be gained by connecting CDIM to Arduino. CDIM or CSCM will add cost and reduce the performance. Take a look what you can do with 8-bit Arduino Mega, 32-bit Arduino Due, or 32-bit Arduino compatible 120 MHz GD32F103. The GD32F103 is a clone of the 72 MHz STM32F103.

Comment

I think I will actually check out the Arduino Mega 2560, because I think I could do a lot of cool stuff with it. But one more question: If I wanted a higher voltage motor than the Arduino can handle(i.e. 12v motor, Arduino uses 5v typically) how would I do it? If I tried to use a Modern Robotics motor controller, I could connect a 12v battery to it, and have two different power sources, and connect the USB to the Arduino, but as we've established, that's not really viable. Or is it? Could I connect a MR motor controller to an Arduino? Also, I'm not worried about cost, because I already have the controllers, it would save me money if I could use these controllers.

Comment

I think I will actually check out the Arduino Mega 2560, because I think I could do a lot of cool stuff with it. But one more question: If I wanted a higher voltage motor than the Arduino can handle(i.e. 12v motor, Arduino uses 5v typically) how would I do it? If I tried to use a Modern Robotics motor controller, I could connect a 12v battery to it, and have two different power sources, and connect the USB to the Arduino, but as we've established, that's not really viable. Or is it? Could I connect a MR motor controller to an Arduino? Also, I'm not worried about cost, because I already have the controllers, it would save me money if I could use these controllers.
                          I suggest you take a step back and work through a few Arduino tutorials on SparkFun.

That will get you familiar with the Arduino and what you can do with it. Once you've
                          done that you can come back and reevaluate what you are trying to accomplish by
                          connecting an Arduino to the CDIM.

Yes, you can use the phone to control an Arduino through the CDIM, but you should
                          have a good grasp of the Arduino on it's own before trying to cross that bridge. A few
                          years back, before it was illegal, we controlled an Arduino through a protoboard to run
                          functional led strips by using the protoboard's digital IO to tell the Arduino what light
                          pattern to run at various points in the game.

Comment

Yeah, I probably should. Can you suggest a good kit to get me started building circuits? Preferably one that is for beginners. However, I wasn't trying to control the Arduino through the android phone. I was just trying to see if I could connect a Core Motor Controller to an Arduino, which I think would be a fun project.

Comment

Arduino Recommendations

Michael,

I have started a maker club in a local public library. For those learning projects, I have chosen a technology that is as affordable as possible and still extendable and highly functional. That could be a good learning platform also for FTC teams.

In past, I did purchase a lot of components from Amazon and eBay. For the robotics projects, I have observed that AliExpress is a reliable source and has extremely good prices - often with free shipments. In the Wissahickon Rover Robot we are using the following components

- Arduino Mega $7.41
                              - Sensor Shield $3.90
                              - Dual Motor Driver up to 30A and 30V, $5.70

As an example of the price anomalies, the same Dual Motor Driver is offered typically around $40 - $60 in US stores.

Cheers, Ollie

Comment

Working...
                              X