No announcement yet.

Any changes made when beta is released?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any changes made when beta is released?

I was wondering if any changes are made to the beta code when it is released as a master, or if it is the exact same thing that gets released, even if problems are found. Thanks!
    Programmer for Team 4997 Masquerade -- 2012 World Champions, 2014 - 2016 Division Finalists
    Founding Member of Team 6433 Neutrinos -- 2015 World Champions

Check out my intro video to the new tech platform
    Check out my team's Robot Reveal for Res-Q

I just used GIT to pull down both the latest master and the latest beta into two directories and did a binary comparison between the two. There are no differences in the Java code.

Interestingly enough the javadoc documentation is newer in the beta branch and the README.md file in the beta branch describes the changes made to the beta. The README.md file in the master is still from January.

Comment

I don't think that is what Varun was asking. I think he wanted to know whether the master branch will have the same contents when it is updated to 1.6 as the beta branch has now, and the answer to that is probably yes. Last time, they just merged the commits straight into master. In regards to the changes between the current master (1.5) and beta (1.6), there are in fact differences to Java code and the aar files as well as the documentation and README. You can look on GitHub to see what the changes are: https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app/compare/beta.

Comment

Originally posted by GearTicks View Post
        I don't think that is what Varun was asking. I think he wanted to know whether the master branch will have the same contents when it is updated to 1.6 as the beta branch has now.
        The master branch has already been updated to the same contents as the beta branch but they forgot to update some of the help files. The Java code is now the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mlwilliams View Post
          The master branch has already been updated to the same contents as the beta branch but they forgot to update some of the help files. The Java code is now the same.
          I'm not sure what you're looking at. When I go to GitHub (https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app/tree/master), it shows that master hasn't been updated since January 4th and the beta 1.6 came out February 9th. If you look at the compare like I posted earlier, almost every file is different between them.

Comment

Ok, I was mistaken. I saw the email about the beta becoming the master and thought it had already happened but I see now that that it's scheduled for 3/9. We've been successfully been on the beta for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by GearTicks View Post
              I don't think that is what Varun was asking. I think he wanted to know whether the master branch will have the same contents when it is updated to 1.6 as the beta branch has now, and the answer to that is probably yes. Last time, they just merged the commits straight into master. In regards to the changes between the current master (1.5) and beta (1.6), there are in fact differences to Java code and the aar files as well as the documentation and README. You can look on GitHub to see what the changes are: https://github.com/ftctechnh/ftc_app/compare/beta.
              This is what I was asking. Thanks for the info. I thought they had done that, but just want to make sure. Technically, this means that the "beta" branch is actually the "pre-master" branch, since no beta testing and fixing of the code is done before it is released as master.
              Programmer for Team 4997 Masquerade -- 2012 World Champions, 2014 - 2016 Division Finalists
              Founding Member of Team 6433 Neutrinos -- 2015 World Champions

Check out my intro video to the new tech platform
              Check out my team's Robot Reveal for Res-Q

Comment

I suspect that in this case beta just meant let people try it out if and if nothing major gets reported then just go ahead and make it the master. The improvements in the beta are significant and even if it introduced a minor defect I'd have a hard time giving it up in favor of the previous version. I highly doubt there will be any changes before it becomes the master; that's just too risky.

Comment

Hi Folks,

mlwilliams is correct. The beta branch is a release candidate. If significant issues are found with a "beta" branch, then we would likely introduce a new "beta" branch to replace the previous "beta" and correct the issues. If significant issues are not found with the beta, then we typically promote the beta to release status.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X