Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Stuck In Restart" issue after MR MC FW Update

Hi Tom et al.

After receiving our MCs back from MR and reinstalling them on our comp robot, we have done extensive testing. Here are the results:
    • There appears to be no change in the ESD reset issue. At our outreach event last Saturday, we brought a single ramp and set it up in the space provided to us, which had very low pile industrial carpet. Several times during the day, as we were driving the robot, touching the metal end of our block scoring arm to the ramp caused immediate fail. Our theory is that static was building up on the surface of the carpet from a constant flow of 50-100 people walking through visiting the different exhibitors, and the potential difference between our robot and the carpet was evened when our bot touched the ramp, the ramp acting as a conduit to the carpet.
    • More concerning to our team though, is a new issue we have not seen before. Attempting to restart the robot from the DS does not work at all. When we go look at the RC phone screen, we see a pop-up message saying "Restarting Robot", but it never restarts, and the message never goes away. In fact, shutting down the RC app does not even remove this message, as shown in the following picture taken with our coaches cell phone. We had to reboot the RC phone completely to remove the message pop-up

Our next step is to revert back to an earlier version of the FTC SDK (maybe v1.5) and see if we can still recreate this issue. We also have 2 motor controllers that have not received the FW update, so we may try to cycle those into our config and see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else ever seen this "stuck in restart" issue? Does anyone have any theories as to whether this could be an SDK or FW update issue?

As always, thank you to everyone on these forums for all your hard work helping teams!

- The Lazybotts

It looks like you have a Motorola phone. Do you have a ZTE speed that you can test this on to see if you get the same bad results?

Comment

Originally posted by mlwilliams View Post
      It looks like you have a Motorola phone. Do you have a ZTE speed that you can test this on to see if you get the same bad results?
      We do. We will give this a try and let you know, but our experience with the ZTE was not positive early on, which is why we switched to the Moto G2.

- Lazybotts

Comment

Hi; can you please also confirm what Firmware Version the Core Device Discovery utility is reporting?

Comment

Yes, will do this tonight as well.

- Lazybotts

Comment

In my experience as an FTA at several events, I have seen the stuck "Restarting Robot" message on several different teams' phones. I strongly doubt it's related to the motor controller firmware, because that's an Android message that's supposed to clear itself. The API that creates the message is called "Toast" and the API specifies that the message can appear for a short duration or long duration. However, there have been reports that Toast message can get stuck:

If you call [the Toast API] from a Service thread and that thread completes it's work before Toast is set to disappear, you are stuck with the Toast message on the screen until you kill the app.
            So it's probably a bug in the SDK, but I don't think it's particular to the beta, since I've only seen a few teams use the beta software. Other FTAs I've worked with indicated that it might be caused by pressing the "Restart Robot" menu item repeatedly / too quickly. I have not tried to reproduce the problem myself.
            John McDonnell
            Co-Mentor, Team 5873
            https://www.facebook.com/Team5873

Comment

Any logcat logs from the robot controller logs behavior was exhibited might be very useful in tracking this problem down.

Comment

Also: the toast is always created and shown from the RobotController UI thread. That thread isn't exiting, I believe, for otherwise the app would be frozen (?). Thus the bug @JohnMcDonnell refers to is unlikely to be the culprit.

Comment

Hi John, Thanks for the reply. How does the fact that the "toast" message is still displayed after the app is shut down play into this?

- Lazybotts

Comment

We will turn on logging and try to reproduce the issue, and post the results.

- Lazybotts

Comment

The logcat files are always produced and stored persistently on the phone; there's no way to turn them on or off. That is, the ones that have the failure from last night (?) are probably still there.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC6389 View Post
                        • More concerning to our team though, is a new issue we have not seen before. Attempting to restart the robot from the DS does not work at all. When we go look at the RC phone screen, we see a pop-up message saying "Restarting Robot", but it never restarts, and the message never goes away. In fact, shutting down the RC app does not even remove this message, as shown in the following picture taken with our coaches cell phone. We had to reboot the RC phone completely to remove the message pop-up

Our next step is to revert back to an earlier version of the FTC SDK (maybe v1.5) and see if we can still recreate this issue. We also have 2 motor controllers that have not received the FW update, so we may try to cycle those into our config and see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else ever seen this "stuck in restart" issue? Does anyone have any theories as to whether this could be an SDK or FW update issue?

As always, thank you to everyone on these forums for all your hard work helping teams!

- The Lazybotts
                        This sounds like the UI thread for the RC controller has frozen, if you have access to the phone when this issue occurs can you post a thread dump (use Android Studio or "adb shell kill -3 <PID of RC>" from a computer with the phone connected)

Comment

... How does the fact that the "toast" message is still displayed after the app is shut down play into this?

- Lazybotts
                          I suspect that shutting down the app by swiping it closed from the recently used apps list doesn't really kill the app. I think in order to kill the app, you would need to go into Settings -> Apps -> FTC Robot Controller and press Force stop.
                          John McDonnell
                          Co-Mentor, Team 5873
                          https://www.facebook.com/Team5873

Comment

Ahhh, ok. I wonder if "force stop" is an Android API call that FTC could add to the RC app, so that when teams pick "Exit" from the menu it actually calls "force stop". Would there be any problem with doing that?

- Lazybotts

Comment

Ahhh, ok. I wonder if "force stop" is an Android API call that FTC could add to the RC app, so that when teams pick "Exit" from the menu it actually calls "force stop". Would there be any problem with doing that?

- Lazybotts
                              Not in the sense of a Direct API, but telling Android to kill your PID is the closest thing force stop your own app.

Comment

Working...
                              X