FTC Controller apk very slow to install to phone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTC Controller apk very slow to install to phone

Historically, the compile and download (install) of the controller apk to the phone (over WiFi) was quick. Recently for no reason I can see, the apk install phase is taking 60-90 seconds.

Originally posted by Crossle86 View Post
    Historically, the compile and download (install) of the controller apk to the phone (over WiFi) was quick. Recently for no reason I can see, the apk install phase is taking 60-90 seconds.
    Hi Crossle86

Did the APK eventually install successfully? The longer install time might be due in part to the larger size of the APK (additional binaries are needed to support the onbot java build feature).

Tom

Comment

At some point, we are going to try playing with onbot java. However, right now we are busy prepping for our first qualifier using tried and true Android Studio method.
      Is there anyway we could set a configuration to not include the onbot java overhead? It would be nice to get these times back down for our multiple cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossle86 View Post
        I don't think the issue is with Wi-Fi, as it does take a long time even when wired to the laptop. Last year we used ZTE phones & it was pretty quick to install; this year we use Moto G4 and thought the lag was due to that.

However the onBot thought does make sense. Can someone verify that this is what causes the lag - if so, an option to disable it would be awesome.

Comment

Ah, the obvious answer. Yes, the apk is substantially larger than before.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC7253 View Post
            At some point, we are going to try playing with onbot java. However, right now we are busy prepping for our first qualifier using tried and true Android Studio method.
            Is there anyway we could set a configuration to not include the onbot java overhead? It would be nice to get these times back down for our multiple cycles.
            Unfortunately, at the moment we do not have a way to strip out the OnBot overhead.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom, I was just looking at the breakdown of the APK's file size using the APK analyzer in Android Studio, and I found that more than 30% of the size is due to images in the android.jar file in RobotCore.aar. If you guys could find a way to get rid of those images that are never going to get used, even that would be a big win.

Comment

It should be possible to strip things from a jar file in your Gradle scripts, right?

Comment

Now having spent some time looking into this, it seems pretty unfair to AS developers to have to put up with the significantly longer download times in order to support a development mode they are not using. I assume the download now contains the OnBot development environment and all the sample programs to support that environment. That is a lot to be downloading on every compile if you don't use OnBot.

Comment

Working...
                  X