Micro 5pin to mini-b

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro 5pin to mini-b

We have purchased new cables from monoprice for all the other connections but am unable to find a high quality micro to mini connection to go from the phone to the power control module. Anyone got a good source?

Originally posted by deanlange View Post
    We have purchased new cables from monoprice for all the other connections but am unable to find a high quality micro to mini connection to go from the phone to the power control module. Anyone got a good source?
    Use one of the one's that you have purchased in conjunction with: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9724

-David

Comment

I am now looking for the mini to micro connection. I'd like to avoid using an OTG connection to avoid another connector possibly coming loose. I find plenty of 8 inch ones everywhere but I'd like more of the longer 18" ones we have. no luck on Amazon, walmart, Best buy. I'm not scrolling through Monoprice because others have mentioned this webstore.. Anyone have a good vendor of for these micro-mini connectors?
      -Jon H.
      Mentor since 2017
      STEAM Powered FTC #12873
      Walkersville, MD
      Frederick County

Comment

Originally posted by Darnfool8 View Post
        I am now looking for the mini to micro connection. I'd like to avoid using an OTG connection to avoid another connector possibly coming loose. I find plenty of 8 inch ones everywhere but I'd like more of the longer 18" ones we have. no luck on Amazon, walmart, Best buy. I'm not scrolling through Monoprice because others have mentioned this webstore.. Anyone have a good vendor of for these micro-mini connectors?
        Get it from the original source?
        https://www.modernroboticsinc.com/otg-usb-cable
        Technical Coach, Newton Busters FTC 10138, FLL 3077
        Chicago 'burbs, IL

Comment

Originally posted by gof View Post

Get it from the original source?
          https://www.modernroboticsinc.com/otg-usb-cable
          Did they ever change vendors? The reason everyone went to the two cable solution the first year was that the mini micro cable that came with the kit seemed to not work well.

Comment

Originally posted by 3805Mentor View Post

Did they ever change vendors? The reason everyone went to the two cable solution the first year was that the mini micro cable that came with the kit seemed to not work well.
            Probably not, but I suspect that most of the issues were all the ESD events from that first year with the new system. The cables themselves seem fairly robust.
            Technical Coach, Newton Busters FTC 10138, FLL 3077
            Chicago 'burbs, IL

Comment

The Modem Robotics cables should be avoided imo

Comment

Originally posted by NoahAndrews View Post
                The Modem Robotics cables should be avoided imo
                Seconded. MR cables are low-quality.

Comment

I just found these on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Coiled-Micr...b+to+micro+usb

Comment

Although, now that I think about it, it might make more sense to put a micro b to regular USB adapter on the expansion hub, zip-tie it into place and then you can use the same cable that charges the phone to connect tot he expansion hub.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDStrand View Post
                      Does 5 pin automatically mean OTG.

Also this cable says the 5 pin is on the mini side. If 5 pin means OTG, if it is on the mini side, does that mean you are telling the device on the mini side that it is the host, and the phone would not know it is the host being on the micro side?

Comment

Although, now that I think about it, it might make more sense to put a micro b to regular USB adapter on the expansion hub, zip-tie it into place and then you can use the same cable that charges the phone to connect tot he expansion hub.
                        The Expansion Hub is a mini.

Comment

Best Buy did have a cable going from a male mini to a male USB. I thought that may work, but the gentleman that was helping me said that they did not have a connecting cable going from a female USB to a male micro USB. Were you able to find a solution? We have a short one that works temporarily, but we need one a bit longer for competition.

Comment

3805Mentor, these are the ones our team is using and they work fine. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                            If you need a longer one, Lindy also sells 1m lengths.

Mentor 777, our team uses these to go from Female USB to male micro USB, https://smile.amazon.com/Rankie-Fema...micro+usb+male

These are cables we are currently using and they work well.

Comment

Originally posted by 3805Mentor View Post

Does 5 pin automatically mean OTG...
                              Great question... unless the cable is identified as "OTG", it is not OTG.

From what I've read, an OTG cable has 5 pins on one connector, and 4 or 5 pins on the other connector. In layman's terms, one end of the OTG cable is wired such that if connected to a dual-role device, the device defaults to the host/master role. The other end of the OTG cable is wired such that if connected to a dual-role device, the device defaults to the client/slave role. After two dual-role devices are connected, they can negotiate to swap roles.

An OTG cable is not needed (but doesn't hurt) if one end of the cable is connected to a single-role device such as the Rev expansion hub or the MR modules.

Comment

Working...
                              X