Vision in Relic Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision in Relic Recovery

A think it would be a nice way to accelerate teams if we share how we use vision and the various elements this year.

My team is thinking of using the VuMarks to maximize block score, and OpenCV for jewel orientation. We're wondering if any team tested using a pixy cam on the glyphs. We know that the hue needs to be distinct to a certain degree. We don't want to spend the money on something that doesn't work. Also wondering if anyone has ideas on finding the cryptobox; we know about the lines on the floor.

Comment

Following this. This is my team's third year, and we haven't used Vuforia yet. We fired up the example project and it was able to track the target's location and orientation, but I have no idea how to actually use that information to move the robot.

Comment

One thing that I have tried is to use Vuforia to locate the target (or VuMark) and using the distance and angle from Vuforia to set the distance to drive. Using the set distance I just converted it to encoder values and drive to the target using only the encoders. I don't think this is the best method of doing this, but I don't know of a better way at this time. The code is on Gethub.

Comment

Wrong link... try this one: https://gist.github.com/InventerBots...6b6a2945122541

Comment

One of the data types is a RelicRecoveryVuMark that is an enumerated type. It has 4 constants LEFT, CENTER, RIGHT and UNKNOWN. You can store that in a variable the type RelicRecoveryVuMark than whenever you want to access that later just refer to that variable in an if or switch statement.

Comment

You can enable or disable the Extended Tracking. Extended Tracking allows wider tracking even after a picture is out of sight by calculation of its surrounding and better range. The drawback is more intensive graphical computation and I noticed it didn't track well if you spin/turn the robot too fast. If the robot turns, it takes more time to compute, so you have to wait a little longer. Turning of off the Extended Tracking is the opposite. It depends how you want to use it for and phone camera visibility to a picture.

Comment

We have been unable to scan in the whiffle-ball jewels using Vuforia. I'm thinking it is because the ball is all the same color.

Is that why you are using OpenCV for the jewels? I have not looked into that at all. Are you having success using it to determine the jewel orientation?

Comment

Originally posted by FLARE View Post
                  We have been unable to scan in the whiffle-ball jewels using Vuforia. I'm thinking it is because the ball is all the same color.

Is that why you are using OpenCV for the jewels? I have not looked into that at all. Are you having success using it to determine the jewel orientation?
                  We haven't had a good chance to try OpenCV on them, but we have used it last year on the beacons for the most reliable program at the St. Louis championship. Our Vuforia programmer said he thinks the holes on the balls cause issues. We are likely looking into BoofCV which deals a lot with shapes. That might be able to recognize them

Comment

Do you guys think that all permitted phones will work "about the same" with the vision processing, or are there 1 or 2 models that will probably work significantly better??

Comment

Did you try using the color sensor by Modern Robotics for the Jewels? Here's a link to how to use in active and passive modes.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVMbRK2JAcs

Comment

Originally posted by DPierce12928 View Post
                        Do you guys think that all permitted phones will work "about the same" with the vision processing, or are there 1 or 2 models that will probably work significantly better??
                        My guess is the ZTE Speeds will be the worse. We're probably going to be using the Moto G4s since the camera, battery and processor is a lot better then the ZTE Speed.

Comment

We're new to FTC this year. We're using Blocks Programming currently (we may switch to Java in Android Studio later, but we're not ready yet). We've created a development key for Vuforia and created the OpMode based on the VuMark sample available on the Robot Controller. We're not able to get it to work...it always tells us no mark is visible. Since we never found a place in the sample code to paste in our development key, we're wondering if that is the issue. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FTC12587 View Post
                            We're new to FTC this year. We're using Blocks Programming currently (we may switch to Java in Android Studio later, but we're not ready yet). We've created a development key for Vuforia and created the OpMode based on the VuMark sample available on the Robot Controller. We're not able to get it to work...it always tells us no mark is visible. Since we never found a place in the sample code to paste in our development key, we're wondering if that is the issue. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!
                            Hi FTC12587,

The Blocks Programming Tool does not require a Vuforia Key.

Did you use the Blocks version of the VuMark sample that is included in with the Blocks Development tool? Could you post a copy of your blocks op mode somewhere that I can download it to test it?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DPierce12928 View Post
                              DPierce,

In our testing, all of the permitted models seem to work quite well with the Vuforia software. Surprisingly even the older ZTE Speed phones (running Android Kit Kat) work well with the Vuforia computer vision software in our tests (YMMV).

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X