X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossle86
    replied
    Originally posted by Crossle86 View Post
    This is actually answers the answer I asked.
    Sorry, should read: This actually answers the question I asked.

Leave a comment:

• Crossle86
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonathan Berling View Post
    Due to limited developer time we didn't enable reading from the HiTechnic NXT Servo Controllers. mhaeberli is correct that they would only report back the value that you most recently wrote.
    This is actually answers the answer I asked.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Barker
    replied
    Servos used in FTC do not have encoders or hardware that will return the current position which is why it cannot be read. When first powered up, servos will usually move to the center position. One method used to get servos into a known position is to move them to an end position and use a touch sensor or switch to detect when they get to that position. Not all servos will move the the exact same position for a given position value so it can be helpful to "calibrate" a servo so you know where it will be for a given position value.

Leave a comment:

• skatefriday
    replied
    Originally posted by markshancock View Post
    It certainly makes it hard to home a servo or use it for sense a mechanical position if you can't read its actual position.
    Also, how do you determine that the commanded move is complete? Time it?

That only works for an unobstructed move and you give up half of what a servo can do. Using a servo as a position or force sensor is a cool trick; but, only if you can access actual position and current.

Mark Hancock
    Tigard Team Mentor
    The controllers are not as smart as you think they should be.

Position is only available in the form of where you told it to
    go, not where it actually is. Current is not available at all.

Google "hitechnic servo controller datasheet" and the datasheet
    for the device will show up.

Leave a comment:

• markshancock
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonathan Berling View Post
    Due to limited developer time we didn't enable reading from the HiTechnic NXT Servo Controllers. mhaeberli is correct that they would only report back the value that you most recently wrote.
    It certainly makes it hard to home a servo or use it for sense a mechanical position if you can't read its actual position.
    Also, how do you determine that the commanded move is complete? Time it?

Originally posted by skatefriday View Post
    For servos, the practical, short term solution, is indeed to simply save off the last position you told it to move to.
    That only works for an unobstructed move and you give up half of what a servo can do. Using a servo as a position or force sensor is a cool trick; but, only if you can access actual position and current.

Mark Hancock
    Tigard Team Mentor

Leave a comment:

• dmssargent
    replied
    Right. Because you can't tell exactly what position the servo
    is actually at because the controller only has a memory map
    location for the set point.

So if there are mechanical constraints, all bets are off.

But I'm a software guy, so I assume that the physical
    world is a perfect void.
    I agree, but I like to try to emulate cases like that when testing the bot's program, Then, asking the designers what they need me to do.

Leave a comment:

• skatefriday
    replied
    Originally posted by mhaeberli View Post
    The other thing to think about is: with an open - loop servo (like the HiTechnic ones), you may have instructed them to go to value: x, but a mechanical constraint, or other factor (like not enough torque against the load to turn) might prevent the servo from getting to the location that, unloaded, you think of as x. And your program will never know. Unless you have an encoder, or limit switch, or something, to tell you otherwise.

Martin Haeberli
    (one of the) programming mentors
    FTC #7593 TigerBots
    Right. Because you can't tell exactly what position the servo
    is actually at because the controller only has a memory map
    location for the set point.

So if there are mechanical constraints, all bets are off.

But I'm a software guy, so I assume that the physical
    world is a perfect void.

Leave a comment:

• mhaeberli
    replied
    The other thing to think about is: with an open - loop servo (like the HiTechnic ones), you may have instructed them to go to value: x, but a mechanical constraint, or other factor (like not enough torque against the load to turn) might prevent the servo from getting to the location that, unloaded, you think of as x. And your program will never know. Unless you have an encoder, or limit switch, or something, to tell you otherwise.

Martin Haeberli
    (one of the) programming mentors
    FTC #7593 TigerBots

Leave a comment:

• dmssargent
    replied
    Bingo.

For servos, the practical, short term solution, is indeed to
    simply save off the last position you told it to move to.

Most of the time, the servo change rate is going to be so
    fast as to mitigate the need to check where it is at any
    given time. You told it to move to 0.75? Pretty sure it's
    there in the next timeslice that loop gives you.

There may be applications where this might not be the case
    but I'd think they are likely rare.
    Oh, that explains a lot about servos. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• skatefriday
    replied
    Originally posted by GearTicks View Post
    I really don't see the use of having a read mode for the HiTechnic Servo Controllers. It is such a pain to have to switch between the read and write modes, so why encourage people to do it for another piece of hardware? It seems trivial to simply create a wrapper class that stores the last set value and returns it when a getPosition() call is made.
    Bingo.

For servos, the practical, short term solution, is indeed to
    simply save off the last position you told it to move to.

Most of the time, the servo change rate is going to be so
    fast as to mitigate the need to check where it is at any
    given time. You told it to move to 0.75? Pretty sure it's
    there in the next timeslice that loop gives you.

There may be applications where this might not be the case
    but I'd think they are likely rare.

Leave a comment:

• GearTicks
    replied
    I really don't see the use of having a read mode for the HiTechnic Servo Controllers. It is such a pain to have to switch between the read and write modes, so why encourage people to do it for another piece of hardware? It seems trivial to simply create a wrapper class that stores the last set value and returns it when a getPosition() call is made.

Leave a comment:

• dmssargent
    replied
    Will this be added in a future release (in sometime, maybe next year)?

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan Berling
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mhaeberli
    replied
    Originally posted by Crossle86 View Post
    Testing the Legacy module with HT servo controller connected, how do you read the servo? Motor controller class allows you to switch between read/write modes, and that seems to work. The servo controller class has no function to change modes. I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't see how to treat the HT servo the same as an HT motor in terms of reading data back.
    Hello - my naive reading of http://www.hitechnic.com/blog/wp-con...cification.pdf, combined with my naive understanding that the PWM (pulse-width-modulator) signal cables from the controller to the servos are essentially uni-directional, and my understanding that the servos lack an embedded rotary shaft encoder, suggests to me that reading the servo (if it is possible) would just tell you what value you most recently wrote.

If I find out anything else, I'll make an updated post.

Leave a comment:

• Crossle86
    started a topic Reading Legacy servo position

Reading Legacy servo position

Testing the Legacy module with HT servo controller connected, how do you read the servo? Motor controller class allows you to switch between read/write modes, and that seems to work. The servo controller class has no function to change modes. I'm probably missing something simple, but I can't see how to treat the HT servo the same as an HT motor in terms of reading data back.
Working...
X