Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed width font for telemetry output in Driver Station app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed width font for telemetry output in Driver Station app?

Would it be possible to change the telemetry output portion of the Driver Station app to use a fixed-width font like Courier in a future release? One of the teams I'm working with is looking into printing data in a table form, and the data on the right side of a printed line is hard to read as the data on the left side dynamically changes its font width.

This is assuming that the source code for the Driver Station app is not going to be released any time soon, of course. If it is, then we can make the change ourselves in our custom Driver Station app.

I see this was asked years ago - Can we get some control over telemetry? - Colored text and a monospace font choice would make life so much easier.

Comment

Nice request... I think the Tech Team wants us to post our feature requests on GitHub. I suggest posting it there.

Comment

FWIW, our library supports outputting telemetry info to the Driver Station in two columns taking into account the font width so the second column will always be aligned.

Comment

mikets I suspect that your library is still valid to use, but have you seen GM1 <RS10>? It includes:
          Teams may only use the unmodified telemetry feature included with the FTC software to transfer additional data between the Robot Controller and the Driver Station.
          IIRC, your library simply adds a layer of formatting and timing on top of the base telemetery calls, so it would seem okay...

Comment

Originally posted by shelbyRobots View Post
            mikets I suspect that your library is still valid to use, but have you seen GM1 <RS10>? It includes:
            Teams may only use the unmodified telemetry feature included with the FTC software to transfer additional data between the Robot Controller and the Driver Station.
            IIRC, your library simply adds a layer of formatting and timing on top of the base telemetery calls, so it would seem okay...
            Yes, our library just calculates the total font width of the left column and decides how many spaces we need to insert so the right column will be aligned. Then we do the usual telemetry call with the modified string that has the inserted spaces. With this strategy, you could do this with any number of columns. We just decided the most common case for us is just two columns.

Comment

Working...
            X