Game Manual release?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Manual release?

In previous years, the Game Manual was released in two parts.

Part I was usually released around the start of June and had information on tournament structure, awards, and robot parts allowed or not allowed. Part I was often very similar from year to year.

Part II was usually released on kickoff day and had all of the game-specific description, rules, scoring, etc.

With all of the changes to the technology platform this year, will the Game Manual be released in a similar way? Will Part I be released in early June with similar information as in previous years? It would be helpful if it could be released as in previous years, as there are many rules changes to items like protoboards, sensors, etc. that may impact items that need to be purchased over the summer.

Can FIRST FTC folks provide an update with their general thoughts on the release dates of the Game Manual, even if specific dates are not firm?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Cheer4FTC View Post
    In previous years, the Game Manual was released in two parts.

Part I was usually released around the start of June and had information on tournament structure, awards, and robot parts allowed or not allowed. Part I was often very similar from year to year.

Part II was usually released on kickoff day and had all of the game-specific description, rules, scoring, etc.

With all of the changes to the technology platform this year, will the Game Manual be released in a similar way? Will Part I be released in early June with similar information as in previous years? It would be helpful if it could be released as in previous years, as there are many rules changes to items like protoboards, sensors, etc. that may impact items that need to be purchased over the summer.

Can FIRST FTC folks provide an update with their general thoughts on the release dates of the Game Manual, even if specific dates are not firm?

Thanks.
    Hello Cheer4FTC,

Thanks for the question! We plan to follow the schedule that we established last season. Part II of the Game Manual will include Game Specific materials, and will be released on September 12th. Part I of the Game Manual will include Robot Rules, and will be released in early July.

JoAnn

Comment

Hi JoAnn,

Any chance that some of the electrical rules will be released / leaked a little earlier? What I am after is battery and motor information, specifically pertaining to the "legacy" Matrix components.

As background, our team robot used 2 matrix controllers, with 2 X 9.6V Matrix batteries (one per controller) and 6 Matrix motors, some servos and some NXT motors.

I understand that one can go the legacy route and use only a new Power Distribution module and a Legacy Module. But will you still be allowed to use 2 Matrix batteries? How will one connect it? Still directly to the Matrix controller? And what about the Power Distribution module then? If we will only be allowed one 9.6V Matrix battery, a legacy Matrix system will probably not be viable.

A second question is about the motors. If we stay with the legacy Matrix system and need more motors, will we then have to keep buying the old 9.6V Matrix motors? And that way just keep digging deeper in the legacy hole? I see the new Matrix kit will be 12V, so one do not even know how long the old 9.6V parts will stay available.

So it feels like we need a little more information so that we can take an informed decision on weather we can use our existing Matrix controllers, batteries and motors or if we should scrap what we have and start over. (Anybody wanting to buy good secondhand Matrix stuff? Only used for one season. You pay shipping from South Africa. )

Regards

John

Comment

Working...
      X