Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZTE Speed Purchasing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ZTE Speed Purchasing

    Hello All,
    I am from a 2nd year team now and we are looking at the new first technology upgrade. The phones cost about $129 each on the first portal which seem a little bit expensive compared to the ones being sold at Best Buy or Amazon. I am assuming there is no difference between purchasing the phone from First vs 3rd Party but with the significant price difference I am slightly unsure. I just want to know what other returning teams are doing.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Originally posted by brb8910 View Post
    Hello All,
    I am from a 2nd year team now and we are looking at the new first technology upgrade. The phones cost about $129 each on the first portal which seem a little bit expensive compared to the ones being sold at Best Buy or Amazon. I am assuming there is no difference between purchasing the phone from First vs 3rd Party but with the significant price difference I am slightly unsure. I just want to know what other returning teams are doing.

    Thank you.
    I think that everyone here has found their ZTE Speed phones elsewhere. Tom Eng has assured us that the FTC distributed phones are identical to the retail version. Best Buy & Amazon have them for $40.

    Good Luck!
    Jim Bates
    Atlantic County NJ 4-H Robotics
    FLL Teams 71 & 13365
    FTC Team 9765

    Comment


    • #3
      Just to back up JimInNJ - most returning teams we've talked to are buying the phones through either Best Buy or Amazon. They aren't showing up for $40 on Amazon anymore, but still appear to be available on bestbuy.com. That's what we did.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just as a Third person to back them up. We bought all 4 of our phones from Best Buy. Tom Eng said they are the same commercial phone.
        2015 FTC World Champion - Valley X Robotics 2844 - Founding Memeber

        Comment


        • #5
          I bought 2 used on eBay... $35 ea

          Comment


          • #6
            The ZTE phones in the stores and online are the same phones that we have. ZTE would only sell us the commercial versions of the ZTE Speed phones, so what you get from a store should be identical to what we sell with the kits of parts.

            Note that the phones in the stores and online are discounted "loss leaders" and the price of these discounted phones are subsidized by the carrier who sells minutes for these phones (hence the difference in the FTC price and the online/Best Buy prices).

            Tom

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
              Note that the phones in the stores and online are discounted "loss leaders" and the price of these discounted phones are subsidized by the carrier who sells minutes for these phones (hence the difference in the FTC price and the online/Best Buy prices).
              Tom
              Right, I keep waiting for Boost Mobile to realize why all those phones
              sold through BestBuy aren't getting activated and pull the promotion
              until after the FTC season starts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Cases?

                Originally posted by skatefriday View Post
                Right, I keep waiting for Boost Mobile to realize why all those phones
                sold through BestBuy aren't getting activated and pull the promotion
                until after the FTC season starts.
                It's a bull market! buy buy buy!!! I bought 4 for my team and will likely get 2 more for myself. Anyone pick up any cases or anything for these things that they can recommend? Amazon has some that looked enticing and have a separate 'clip in' for a belt that could likely be robot mounted for easy insert removal. Wondering if anyone found anything that stands out as particularly functional. Link below is for the case in question.

                Comment


                • #9
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jmattdayton View Post
                    It's a bull market! buy buy buy!!! I bought 4 for my team and will likely get 2 more for myself. Anyone pick up any cases or anything for these things that they can recommend? Amazon has some that looked enticing and have a separate 'clip in' for a belt that could likely be robot mounted for easy insert removal. Wondering if anyone found anything that stands out as particularly functional. Link below is for the case in question.
                    I'm thinking about 3d printing a case for my team that is specifically designed to integrate with FTC/TETRIX; I'll share the STL on thingiverse once I get it made and printed.
                    FTC6460 mentor (software+computer vision+electronics), FPGA enthusiast. In favor of allowing custom electronics on FTC bots.
                    Co-founder of ##ftc live chat for FTC programming--currently you may need to join and wait some time for help--volunteer basis only.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by skatefriday View Post
                      Right, I keep waiting for Boost Mobile to realize why all those phones
                      sold through BestBuy aren't getting activated and pull the promotion
                      until after the FTC season starts.
                      That's funny, we had a very similar conversation with some folks earlier this week, and that very night I went onto Walmart.com and bought two for $39, before anyone's the wiser.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hexafraction View Post
                        I'm thinking about 3d printing a case for my team that is specifically designed to integrate with FTC/TETRIX; I'll share the STL on thingiverse once I get it made and printed.
                        FYI, two options already exist for this at the following links:

                        http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:801099
                        http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:828782

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          These printed mounts are good for the phone usage as a controller. In future, it is possible that some team want to use the phone camera. In those cases, a commercial mount with flexible adjustments is proper. An example is the phone mount from Actobotics for $9.99.

                          https://www.servocity.com/html/phone...l#.VV_Eo_lVhBc

                          After discount, the price is $7.50.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is also a good mount. It might have more than 1 degree of freedom, though. Might need to wait until the Game Manual comes out and the forum opens to see if it's legal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Prices for ZTE/SPEED phones as of May 25, 2015

                              Best Buy - $39.99
                              WalMart - $39.88
                              Amazon was $39.99 now $55.98:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X