No announcement yet.

Video Code Walkthrough of the FIRSTĀ® Tech Challenge (FTC) Robot Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there will not be a central FCS to monitor the readiness of teams, it seems to me that the Driver Station needs to provide the Refs some status information.

It occurred to one of my team that one way to do this might be through the Phone's white Camera FLASH LED.

Suggestion...

I think that the Driver station still needs to go through a standard match sequence, and manage the transitions.
    The DS should require the drive team to preset an AutoOp mode and a TeleOp mode prior to the game start.

After selecting these two modes, the team should enter into "Game Ready" mode, where the DS would flash the Camera's LED on both the Robot and DS (not unlike FRC's DS Ready light and Robot Signal Light)

The DS should now show one BIG GREEN GO button.

Once the Refs sees the Blue Alliance light flashing, they can have Red Alliance stage their robots.

Once all Teams Lights are flashing, the refs can signal Auto Period start, and the kids just hit the big Go button.

After Auto (automatically timed) , the system can revert back to flashing, until the Refs signal Teleop Start...

This should reduce the likelyhood of Unprepared teams, False starts, and time overruns.
    The flashing between auto and teleop will also let refs know that robots are all still functioning and ready to play.

Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by Philbot View Post
      Since there will not be a central FCS to monitor the readiness of teams, it seems to me that the Driver Station needs to provide the Refs some status information.

Once all Teams Lights are flashing, the refs can signal Auto Period start, and the kids just hit the big Go button.

After Auto (automatically timed) , the system can revert back to flashing, until the Refs signal Teleop Start...

This should reduce the likelyhood of Unprepared teams, False starts, and time overruns.
      The flashing between auto and teleop will also let refs know that robots are all still functioning and ready to play.

Phil.
      Hi Phil that sounds like a good idea and as long as the AutoOp period was set by the SDK code and there was a thread to kill it at exactly 30 seconds, then that might work, but we'd need something similar for the TeleOp period as well, right? Otherwise, we still have a situation where not all teams might stop the teleop at the exact 2:30 mark.

I'm much more concerned about stopping on time than starting on time. It's pretty obvious when a robot starts moving before all the others and before the ref states that it can, so it will much easier for at least one of the 2 refs to see it. It will be significantly more difficult to ensure that all four robots STOP at the same time. Given that, I'd be happier with the new procedures if there was a thread running that had timers that would start when the start() method completed and would then stop calling the loop() method and instead invoke the stop() method and stop everything at a time.

The settings of those timers could be part of the DS so the refs could validate that all teams had the appropriate settings before the match (no 2:31 or anything) :-)

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by gorpong View Post
        Hi Phil that sounds like a good idea and as long as the AutoOp period was set by the SDK code and there was a thread to kill it at exactly 30 seconds, then that might work, but we'd need something similar for the TeleOp period as well, right? Otherwise, we still have a situation where not all teams might stop the teleop at the exact 2:30 mark.

I'm much more concerned about stopping on time than starting on time. It's pretty obvious when a robot starts moving before all the others and before the ref states that it can, so it will much easier for at least one of the 2 refs to see it. It will be significantly more difficult to ensure that all four robots STOP at the same time. Given that, I'd be happier with the new procedures if there was a thread running that had timers that would start when the start() method completed and would then stop calling the loop() method and instead invoke the stop() method and stop everything at a time.

The settings of those timers could be part of the DS so the refs could validate that all teams had the appropriate settings before the match (no 2:31 or anything) :-)

Thoughts?
        Tom had stated earlier that the SDK program for the DS would only be distributed as a binary this year, so couldn't all of this display and timing be the hard coded into the DS opmode?
        Jim Bates
        Atlantic County NJ 4-H Robotics
        FLL Teams 71 & 13365
        FTC Team 9765

Comment

Yes, I would see the DS automatically ending the Auto period, and when it does so, it could switch the robots to the "FLASH LED" OpMode, until it's time to start the chosen Teleop OpMode.

Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by JimInNJ View Post
            Tom had stated earlier that the SDK program for the DS would only be distributed as a binary this year, so couldn't all of this display and timing be the hard coded into the DS opmode?
            Yeah, I suppose that would work. I was thinking of all the times we ran simulations with a normal Autonomous but only a 30-second TeleOp for testing purposes and being able to adjust those timings as the need arose. If there's a way to "Stop" the running OpMode method then that would work just as well. E.g., hard-code in the 30-second autonomous and 2:30 second driver controlled periods into the DS and if the kids, during testing, needed to stop early they could. I know they mentioned there would be the E-Stop capability on each DS so that might do exactly what the Dr. ordered!

Thoughts, Tom?

Comment

Working...
            X