Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Hangout – FTC New Technology Demo

Hi Folks,

I will be doing a Google Hangout on Air for any members of the FIRST community that were not able to attend the FTC New Tech Demo at Championship. This Hangout on Air will outline the new technology and give some insightful information into the new hardware and software that we will be using next year. The FTC New Technology Demonstration Hangout on Air will be at 6:00pm ET on Wednesday, May 20th.

Link to the Google Hangout:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c...7jo7qvniiqpid4

Sincerely,

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Eng; 05-18-2015, 04:17 PM.

Thanks Tom - looking forward for the hangout session.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
      Hi Folks,

I will be doing a Google Hangout on Air for any members of the FIRST community that were not able to attend the FTC New Tech Demo at Championship. This Hangout on Air will outline the new technology and give some insightful information into the new hardware and software that we will be using next year. The FTC New Technology Demonstration Hangout on Air will be at 6:00pm ET on Wednesday, May 20th.

Link to the Google Hangout to follow...

Sincerely,

Tom
      I am presuming that you will share the URL of the resulting youtube video for later viewing?

Thank you.
      FTC Team 7300 - Ashebots (ashebots.org)

Comment

Hi FTC7300

Yes, the Hangout will be recorded and available to the community for replay at a later date/time.

Comment

Getting ready for the session on the 20th, I just added the "Hangouts" app to my phone, but now I don't know how to link up to the "FTC New Technology Demonstration Hangout". A Hangout search leaves me empty handed. How does one link up?

Comment

Originally posted by emeflag View Post
            Getting ready for the session on the 20th, I just added the "Hangouts" app to my phone, but now I don't know how to link up to the "FTC New Technology Demonstration Hangout". A Hangout search leaves me empty handed. How does one link up?
            Once we're given the link, clicking it will prompt you to choose an action, and you would pick to use the Hangouts app. Then, the hangouts app will open that hangout. (Different setups might skip prompting you and just go straight to the hangout)
            FTC6460 mentor (software+computer vision+electronics), FPGA enthusiast. In favor of allowing custom electronics on FTC bots.
            Co-founder of ##ftc live chat for FTC programming--currently you may need to join and wait some time for help--volunteer basis only.

Comment

Hi Folks,

Here is a link to the Google Hangout:

Also, you can check the FTC Facebook page for updates/last minute notices regarding the Hangout.

https://www.facebook.com/FTCTeams

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
                Hi Folks,

Here is a link to the Google Hangout:

Also, you can check the FTC Facebook page for updates/last minute notices regarding the Hangout.

https://www.facebook.com/FTCTeams
                Any chance we'll get a beta of the SDK along with the Hangout?

I know I sound like a broken record, but we don't need apps, we don't
                need hardware, we just need a set of class files that we can poke
                around in. And to know that a select number of teams already have
                this per comments made in these forums. Well, that is giving those
                teams, and those mentors a rather large advantage.

Comment

Why can't we get a copy of the APPS they were running in St Louis? They seemed to work fine, and they would give us something to play with to get familiar with the new platform.

Comment

Originally posted by tvsknights View Post
                    Why can't we get a copy of the APPS they were running in St Louis? They seemed to work fine, and they would give us something to play with to get familiar with the new platform.
                    I feel like having a copy of the SDK itself will be more helpful to seeing everything that is possible--not just what was attempted at Worlds or other beta events.
                    FTC6460 mentor (software+computer vision+electronics), FPGA enthusiast. In favor of allowing custom electronics on FTC bots.
                    Co-founder of ##ftc live chat for FTC programming--currently you may need to join and wait some time for help--volunteer basis only.

Comment

Hi Folks,

We plan on releasing the apps and the SDK soon. You can configure the robot to have a null hardware configuration (no hardware modules attached) and if you have the SDK, even though you don't have the hardware yet, you can still write some basic op modes and test things like the telemetry function (you can send data back from the robot controller to the driver station) and learn how to select and run an op mode.

Tom

Comment

I haven't read in any of the posts about how App Inventor will work with the new hardware/software systems...

Comment

Hi Craig.

I got to participate in a good demo of App Inventor at Worlds. They have taken the Scratch-like programming interface of App Inventor, and added some FTC robot-centric control "blocks". The graphical design method seems to essentially encapsulate the same logic that would be used in Android Studios, but without the user having to learn Java Syntax. For Teleop, the "code" will be pretty simple. For any sort of autonomous above a simple sequence of steps, I think the App Inventor Graphical style will get pretty cumbersome.

So... Great for rookie and intermediate teams, but probably not the best choice for teams that like to do extensive auto programming (JMHO).

To deploy the code, the APP Inventor compiles online and then can present a QR code that shows the phone where to download the newly created app from.
                          It's pretty clever, but I'm not sure if it will work in an actual live competition environment.

At Worlds, they were running it over a Cellular Hotspot, that was OK, but fraught with the usual cellular access issues (power downs, dropouts, low batteries etc)
                          As a general App development too for learning App Inventor also seemed pretty cool. Applicable to summer tech camps etc.

Phil.

Comment

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the thoughtful post. I'm working with a rookie team this year that struggled with RobotC configuring/programming last season. I'd like to have both platforms figured out so I can assist them on setting up one that works best for them. I am more comfortable with text based line programming as it's what I know, but the graphical App Inventor might be more approachable for beginner programmers. I understand what an SDK is for Java programming, but not sure what the equivalent is for App Inventor. Will there be "visual objects" made for talking to the controls electronics, and when/where will we find out about it?

Thanks again,

Craig

Comment

Craig.

As an experienced programmer the 'Jigsaw style" syntax block of App Inventor will seem pretty natural to you. No significant learning curve.
                              In some respects it's a good primer for the kids. The blocks will only accept certain configurations (based on syntax).. eg you can only put a condition on an IF block...

Configuring motors etc with both platforms will be done by referring to the devices by name in your code, and then running a configuration app on the phone to assign those same names to the devices.
                              These Names are "checked" at run time, but currently there isn't a tool to link the code development process to the Phone configuration process, so we'll need to be good about being consistent in how we name things

I think the real issue with both the App inventor, and Android Studio is going to be autonomous modes that go beyond simple drive sequences. In both cases you will need to implement some kind of state machine to remember the auto sequence through multiple "loop" calls. I fear that the complexity of this may stretch what App Inventor was intended for.

Phil.

Comment

Working...
                              X