How many drivers & access to new hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many drivers & access to new hardware

Do you think the changes would make a single driver more likely, or should we plan to purchase an additional android device for a 2nd driver?

Will any of the the hardware have a purchase limit - like I think we could only purchase 1 Samantha module per team each year? We like to have a 2nd robot to practice with while others are working with the main bot. Just trying to figure out a budget & making sure we can still plan on this without having to share a part/parts between 2 bots.

Thanks!

The system is designed to have 2 drivers (or more specifically, 2 logitech game controllers) attached to a single android device at the drivers station. Each team will have to bring that device & controllers to a competition. Then you would have another android device on the robot side. So any robot you want to run would require 2 android devices (driver-side and robot-side) + the existing game controllers. You don't need another android device for a 2nd driver at the drivers station.

I believe when you register one team, you will only be able to buy 2 android devices as part of the package direct from FIRST. The good news, though, is that on another thread it was confirmed that the devices are ZTE Speed phones, which you could buy on your own. So for a 2nd robot, you could use 2 more of those ZTE Speeds, which look like they are $40/each on Bestbuy.com right now.

Comment

Thanks 6705 - that makes sense, I was thinking they would control with the android device rather than the logitec controllers.

What about the legacy module or power module - will we be able to order 2 each of these?

Comment

I haven't seen anything on quantity restrictions for legacy, power, or new sensor modules (or the new DC motor controllers or Servo controllers). Our understanding is that when the registration system opens, you'll be allowed to make an initial order of upgrade or new control components- but as far as I know, no information yet on the quantities or timing. We have heard that the FTC registration system TIMS will open on May 13th which would be a logical time for FIRST to communicate availability. Regardless, I don't believe any of the components will ship to teams until mid-summer. Given what we know right now, our goal as a team is to at least try and convert our Cascade Effect robot to the new platform prior to kickoff in late August/early September. I don't think it will be possible to be productive with the new system before the end of the school year.

Comment

Hi Folks,

FTC6705 has good info. As I understand it, there should be no quantity restrictions on the new modules (legacy, power, ASM, DC motor, and servo). You can buy them through the vendor's website.

FTC6705 is also correct in that when you sign in to TIMS and register a team, you will have the option to select and purchase one of several kits. The kits have the electronic modules included so you can select the kit that is most appropriate for your needs. For example, one kit will have only the Power Module and Legacy Module included - this would be for a team that wants to use their legacy NXT-compatible DC motor and servo controllers. Another kit will have all of the modules (power, legacy, dc motor, servo, and asm) for teams who want to use all USB-enabled devices. You will only be able to select and purchase one kit through the registration process. If you need more modules, you will have to order them separately from the vendor (Modern Robotics).

Also, FTC6705 is corrrect - team registration will open up this month and you can register your team and select and purchase a kit of parts. However, hardware is not supposed to ship until some time in June according to the most current status update from the manufacturer (be advised, this ship date could change).

Sincerely,

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
            Hi Folks,
            <SNIP>
            Also, FTC6705 is corrrect - team registration will open up this month and you can register your team and select and purchase a kit of parts. However, hardware is not supposed to ship until some time in June according to the most current status update from the manufacturer (be advised, this ship date could change).

Sincerely,

Tom
            According to the FTC TIMS page, registration opens tomorrow (Thursday) at 12 noon. It has been mentioned elsewhere that hardware would ship in early June.
            Jim Bates
            Atlantic County NJ 4-H Robotics
            FLL Teams 71 & 13365
            FTC Team 9765

Comment

JimInNJ was correct - TIMS opened today, not next week. Our state FTC affiliate had been told 5/13. Looks like a variety of purchase options through the new FTC "storefront." I have heard that once you go through that process though, you cannot go back and buy any of the kitted options - you'll be on your own to buy hardware.

Comment

Working...
              X