Training details / ZTE Speed confirmed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training details / ZTE Speed confirmed

There's a company at Worlds called Intelitek. Apparently they're the ones who are going to make the new curriculum. They have a place on their website where you can sign up for details. http://www.intelitek.com/first-tech-challenge/ They also have a brochure that outlines the upcoming curriculum, which confirms the ZTE Speed as the official device. That makes me glad that we'll be allowed to use our own devices if we wish.

Finally, there's a different brochure that they're distributing at Worlds, which lists availability dates. The hardware/getting started training will be available June 5, while the app inventor and java training won't be available until September 1.

I'm not actually at Worlds; I got a picture of the brochure they're distributing from a friend who is.

Hi Noah,

Thanks for posting this information. I've been looking for the Worlds announcement and this is the first thing I've found.

Much appreciated!

Comment

You're totally welcome, I'm also surprised that I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Comment

Hi Folks,

Yes, the ZTE will be the phone included with the kit of parts. The contract was signed this past week. The model phone is the ZTE Speed.

Tom

Comment

Is it possible to order the kit of parts without the ZTE Speed?
          What is the URL for the new store?
          When does it open?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
            Hi Folks,

Yes, the ZTE will be the phone included with the kit of parts. The contract was signed this past week. The model phone is the ZTE Speed.

Tom
            Tom,

Since we will be buying these phones from FIRST's designated vendor, not from a wireless carrier, please answer these questions about the software provided on these phones, or released to us as APIs for development purposes:
            What Android release will those phones contain?
            To what Android API level must we compile the code which we will develop?

Thanks!

Comment

My biggest question about the ZTE Speeds we'll be using is whether they will come with ZTE's skin. Reviews say the phone is slow, and I expect that skin has something to do with that considering that the new Moto G LTE has the same processor and amount of RAM and gets much more favorable reviews.

Comment

FWIW: ZTE Speeds are currently on sale at Best Buy online for $40.

Comment

I liked how Tom phrased this: "...the ZTE will be the phone included..."

I assume this is the device that goes on board the robot. Any news on the tablet (brand/model) for the driver side?
                  FTC Team 8681 - A Few Loose Screws: Mentor (2014- )

Comment

The link I originally posted indicated that both devices were ZTE Speeds.

Comment

Thanks. TomEng was pretty clear earlier that the robot side would be phone sized and the user control would be tablet sized.

Comment

That was my understanding as well. I'd love for that to be the case, but it appears that their plans changed.

Comment

ctaranto - our hope was to have the robot side be a phone device and the driver station a tablet-sized, but we were unable to find a reliable, affordable tablet-sized device and opted for the more reliable (albeit smaller) ZTE Speed for both sides.

Comment

Thanks for the quick updates! Great to hear that things are progressing.

Can you comment on whether the FTC-sourced ZTE Speed is identical to a retail version? In other words, can we buy them now or is it advisable to wait?

Thanks again...

-Craig

Comment

Originally posted by AlanG View Post
                              Tom,

Since we will be buying these phones from FIRST's designated vendor, not from a wireless carrier, please answer these questions about the software provided on these phones, or released to us as APIs for development purposes:
                              What Android release will those phones contain?
                              To what Android API level must we compile the code which we will develop?

Thanks!
                              Hi AlanG,

The ZTE Speeds are equipped with Android 4.4 (Kit Kat). We recommend Android 4.4 for use with the FTC SDK. Kit Kat has good support for WiFi Direct (better than Jelly Bean). Lollipop is not yet recommended because there is a USB driver issue with Android 5.0 and 5.1 that prevent the device from working properly with the Modern Robotics modules (and with other USB-enabled devices).

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X