Eclipse for FTC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse for FTC

Our team is both a FTC and an FRC team. We currently use Eclipse for programming our FRC robots and we would like to know if we can use eclipse for programming our FTC robots as well.

Tom Eng mentioned that advanced teams can probably use Eclipse if you really want to. However, it likely won't be supported, so you'll have to figure out how to integrate the Gradle stuff with Eclipse and everything.

My opinion, which is very common, is that JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA is WAAAY better than Eclipse. Why not migrate from Eclipse to IntelliJ, it will likely work great with both platforms, and (especially if you take time to get used to it and learn its keyboard shortcuts) I think you'll find it to be far more enjoyable to use as well.

Comment

Here's the quote from Tom I was referring to:

Hi williamtdr,

The FTC API/SDK has been developed and tested using Android Studio. It is distributed as an Android Studio project file. I believe the Android Studio interface is very similar (identical?) to the IDEA interface (i have only used Android Studio, I have not played with IntelliJ IDEA). I also believe that an advanced user could use an alternate tool like IDEA or even Eclipse (or even a text editor and command line calls to the Android SDK) with the FTC API/SDK if they wanted to. However, the documentation and support will be targeted towards developers using Android Studio or the MIT App Inventor.

Tom
      http://ftcforum.usfirst.org/showthre...2913#post12913

Comment

Originally posted by NoahAndrews View Post
        Tom Eng mentioned that advanced teams can probably use Eclipse if you really want to. However, it likely won't be supported, so you'll have to figure out how to integrate the Gradle stuff with Eclipse and everything.

My opinion, which is very common, is that JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA is WAAAY better than Eclipse. Why not migrate from Eclipse to IntelliJ, it will likely work great with both platforms, and (especially if you take time to get used to it and learn its keyboard shortcuts) I think you'll find it to be far more enjoyable to use as well.
        I agree with NoahAndrews. I have been developing in Java for years and Android Studio (based on IntelliJ IDEA) is leaps and bounds better than Eclipse. You'll find that the time you save after converting to Android Studio will be far greater than the time you spent learning Android Studio. The ROI is definitely worth it.

Comment

Norton and Noah,

While I agree with both of you that IntelliJ is a far superior product, not having a consistent platform between FRC and FTC is a bit disappointing. If we are going to move to Android Studio for FTC I think First should also offer IntelliJ for FRC, like they do with LabView. Maybe they already investigated this and found IntelliJ would not sponsor this effort or be cost effective. It just seems like something for First to think about.

Regards,

Eddie

Comment

Eddie,
            What is it that's keeping you from using IntelliJ for FRC? Unless there's an Eclipse plugin that you're required to use, you shouldn't need FIRST's approval to use the IDE of your choice.

Don't forget that there's a free version of IntelliJ.

Comment

Working...
            X