Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What version of Android will the official devices be running?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What version of Android will the official devices be running?

I'd love to see the devices running 5.1 (Lollipop take 2), but if not, I'd much rather see 4.4 (KitKat) than 5.0 (original Lollipop). In my experience, 5.0 has a lot of performance issues, particularly on low end devices. That's really bad for running a robot, especially since one of the issues involves apps randomly quitting.

If the devices run 5.0, would we be allowed to flash a different OS version to them, perhaps using something like CyanogenMod?

The chip they announced to be using is not low-end for consumers. Right now, I do not see a problem porting or re-flashing the android devices they give, we can always pull their [FIRST] apps of the device, and reinstall them using adb. Now, Google is most likely to issue patches for any stability issues that currently exist, whether or not the devices actually get those updates is another matter. I just wonder if the devices come with 5.0 or better, will the app use Material Design or be themeble to your team's logo and match, and can additional apps be added to what exists on the controller, like scouting apps where match details of the teams and recommendations to the program can be added on a SD card (emulated or not) Then, your auto program gets told the match number, querys it's scouting database, and modifies what it does based on that, as an hypothetical.

Comment

Fine, it's low-midrange. The Snapdragon 200 is their low end series, 400 and 600 are mid-range, and 800 is what goes in the flagships.

I really like your idea of scouting integration. I highly doubt they'd go nearly as far as you're describing, especially modifying autonomous based on who you're facing, but it sounds like something you could program yourself. It would be a great contribution to the FTC community if you released it for the rest of us too.

Comment

We do release all of our team's source code for robot apps, or other code for years past via GitHub (this is my first year on a FIRST team, and also GitHub.) I also doubt that FIRST has that intention in their SDK, if we can not even add buttons to it as far as I know. The app probably could be programmed by me, except that I do have train 4 other FTC teams to the new platform, maybe more. Also, I will have to assist writing autonomous code for 3 of them, as well as helping another rookie FRC team, and basically writing our FRC teams programming myself. I also have maintain and finish writing our school's robotics website, and help with PR to get some new members, and promote the robotics team.

With FIRST's reliance of the controll system on Qualcomm, I think there is only going to be one of two devices listed here (HTC Desire 510/MotoX E (2nd Gen): https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...?processor=410. I think it probably will be the MotoX E for the robot platform, and it is listed to run Lollipop (5.0).

Comment

Originally posted by dmssargent View Post
          With FIRST's reliance of the controll system on Qualcomm, I think there is only going to be one of two devices listed here (HTC Desire 510/MotoX E (2nd Gen): https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...?processor=410. I think it probably will be the MotoX E for the robot platform, and it is listed to run Lollipop (5.0).
          Has anyone noticed that Qualcomm hasn't said a word about this relationship on it's website?
          Jim Bates
          Atlantic County NJ 4-H Robotics
          FLL Teams 71 & 13365
          FTC Team 9765

Comment

Originally posted by dmssargent View Post
            We do release all of our team's source code for robot apps, or other code for years past via GitHub (this is my first year on a FIRST team, and also GitHub.) I also doubt that FIRST has that intention in their SDK, if we can not even add buttons to it as far as I know. The app probably could be programmed by me, except that I do have train 4 other FTC teams to the new platform, maybe more. Also, I will have to assist writing autonomous code for 3 of them, as well as helping another rookie FRC team, and basically writing our FRC teams programming myself. I also have maintain and finish writing our school's robotics website, and help with PR to get some new members, and promote the robotics team.

Yeah, I TOTALLY get that. Maybe someone else will take the idea and run with it. And kudos to you for open sourcing your code.

I found the exact same page on their website listing those devices. After some research, only the European version of the Desire 510 has that processor in it. That leaves the new Moto E (LTE version). I happen to think that would be an excellent and affordable choice, but they could well be using a yet-unreleased device. In addition, they've made it pretty clear that the driver station will be using a tablet, not a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by NoahAndrews View Post
              ..., but they could well be using a yet-unreleased device. In addition, they've made it pretty clear that the driver station will be using a tablet, not a phone.
              They have plenty of emphasis of Qualcomm and COTS items, I don't think the device will be purely custom, it may have slight modifications made to better suit the needs of the competition, and I cannot find a 410-based tablet anywhere, I have found Snapdragon 400 and they give more emphasis to Snapdragon, so the tablet could be a second generation of its predecessors, probably at max 10.1" or more likely 7" due to fitting inside the Pit. The Android version will most likely be the same (or at least the same API level.) The communication specifications will probably the way similar to the robot controller or better. Yet, more custom hardware being developed is unlikely than what has been announced, or they have spent a long time planning this transition (over at least 2 years). With the size of txhe competition, I am sure that could get access to any early unreleased model.

Comment

Yeah, they've pretty much come right out and said you'll be able to buy the devices off-the-shelf. I'm just thinking that they might have early access to unreleased hardware.

Comment

Hi Folks,

Currently, the platform is running on Kit Kat 4.4. Lollipop will be eventually supported, but one of the device drivers that the platform relies on for USB comm currently has better support with Kit Kat 4.4.

Regarding the platform that will be used, again, I cannot provide any details yet. We are working to finalize these matters as soon as possible.

Tom
                  Last edited by Tom Eng; 03-19-2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

That's interesting about the driver, thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
                      Hi Folks,

Currently, the platform is running on Kit Kat 4.4. Lollipop will be eventually supported, but one of the device drivers that the platform relies on for USB comm currently has better support with Kit Kat 4.4.

Regarding the platform that will be used, again, I cannot provide any details yet. We are working to finalize these matters as soon as possible.

Tom
                      Thanks for the info. Any info is greatly appreciated at this point for those of us who need to get ahead of this as much as possible. I just dug out an old Android device with 4.2.2. At least now I will assume I don't need to upgrade to 5.

Comment

Working...
                      X