Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does it work? Application or Custom Rom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does it work? Application or Custom Rom?

A. Will this interface for the Driver Station and the robot be custom roms, or OS's, or will it be an app on the device? I am seeing it as being an app, but wanted to know for sure.

B. Will each control program be a separate app, or will they be sub files of a bigger app that will store all of the runnable competition programs?

C. Will only the apps that belong to the interface be allowed? Ex. App to record the match from the robot's view for post-match entertainment in the background, or recording robot path to better optimize drive strategy, assuming dead reckoning or positional tracking through on board gyro/accelerometer combination if included in device.

Very interesting platform choice, seems like it would work okay.

One last question for now - Will the coach (Driver's Box) have to be ready to stop the match when it is time, or will we get another person who will control the start/stop?

I realize some of these questions may still not have an answer right now and understand if they are still being worked on,

Thanks
    FTC Team 5466 Combustible Lemons
    Building Lemon Squeezing Robots since 2011

Originally posted by FTC5466 View Post
    B. Will each control program be a separate app, or will they be sub files of a bigger app that will store all of the runnable competition programs?
    This is not an official answer, but as I would understand, since a full IDE is being used, you are linking to a library, and creating independent executables (apps).
    FTC6460 mentor (software+computer vision+electronics), FPGA enthusiast. In favor of allowing custom electronics on FTC bots.
    Co-founder of ##ftc live chat for FTC programming--currently you may need to join and wait some time for help--volunteer basis only.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC5466 View Post
      A. Will this interface for the Driver Station and the robot be custom roms, or OS's, or will it be an app on the device? I am seeing it as being an app, but wanted to know for sure.

C. Will only the apps that belong to the interface be allowed? Ex. App to record the match from the robot's view for post-match entertainment in the background, or recording robot path to better optimize drive strategy, assuming dead reckoning or positional tracking through on board gyro/accelerometer combination if included in device.

Very interesting platform choice, seems like it would work okay.

One last question for now - Will the coach (Driver's Box) have to be ready to stop the match when it is time, or will we get another person who will control the start/stop?

I realize some of these questions may still not have an answer right now and understand if they are still being worked on,

Thanks
      You will create an app to control the robot. Each program is an "OpMode" which derives from a common base class. Your robot control app can register multiple op modes with the framework. The driver station app is capable of selecting which opmode is active.

I can't speak to your question C. No idea what will or will not be allowed. For tracking your route I would think it will be straightforward to monitor the onboard accelerometer from your competition app if you wish.

During the beta test our team was responsible for starting/stopping the robot for the various game modes. Since the connection is over wifi-direct, I don't see any way for FTC to control the start/stop centrally. Hope this will be helpful to you.

Disclaimer: I am answering based on our beta test experience. I am not speaking in any official capacity.

Comment

Working...
      X