Built-in Camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built-in Camera?

Will either the "driver station" (DS) device or the "robot controller" (RC) device have a built-in camera?

If so, will we be allowed to use said camera(s) during competition?

If so, will we be allowed to stream video between the two devices? (e. g. display the robot's POV on our DS)

If so, will we be allowed to stream video from our driver station's camera to our robot during the autonomous phase? Or would that violate the "no external input" rule?
    The purpose of this would be to track the positions of other robots in relation to out robot, and possibly detect the position of dynamic field elements.

Thanks, this is so exciting!
    FTC Team 7300 - Ashebots (ashebots.org)

I'm guessing FIRST will not release any rules of this nature for a while. That said, they will probably have cameras. You also will probably not be able to use the DS camera during autonomous even if you can use it during teleop, which I also dobut will be allowed but I feel possibly might be.

Comment

Hi Folks,

The new devices will have built in cameras. We would like to incorporate video functions as part of the game, but camera-related features will most likely not be enabled with the initial release of the FTC specific API's.

We eventually want to support functions like video streaming and also using the camera for image recognition and autonomous navigation. In fact, QualComm has developed a visual, augmented reality library called Vuforia that can be used to develop augmented reality apps for the Android/Snapdragon platform. However, the initial FTC software releases will primarily focus on core robot functions. I anticipate that visual features will not be incorporated into the FTC software until a later date.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Eng View Post
        Hi Folks,

The new devices will have built in cameras. We would like to incorporate video functions as part of the game, but camera-related features will most likely not be enabled with the initial release of the FTC specific API's.

We eventually want to support functions like video streaming and also using the camera for image recognition and autonomous navigation. In fact, QualComm has developed a visual, augmented reality library called Vuforia that can be used to develop augmented reality apps for the Android/Snapdragon platform. However, the initial FTC software releases will primarily focus on core robot functions. I anticipate that visual features will not be incorporated into the FTC software until a later date.

Tom
        Will low-level hardware interfaces still be available, should we wish to use existing libraries or algorithms that we implement ourselves, with the camera?
        FTC6460 mentor (software+computer vision+electronics), FPGA enthusiast. In favor of allowing custom electronics on FTC bots.
        Co-founder of ##ftc live chat for FTC programming--currently you may need to join and wait some time for help--volunteer basis only.

Comment

Hi hexafraction.... yes the low-level Android hardware interfaces will still be available if you would like to implement your own camera-related functions.

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X