Java IDE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java IDE?

Although, we just finished our rookie year and are disappointed at losing all the money we spent on hardware and software for the old system, our coach is excited that we are moving to a modern platform and programming language.

He asks: what IDE will we be able to use to program the new devices? He would love to see Android Studio or IntelliJ IDEA CE used.

Thank you.

Hi Ponytail Posse,

Thanks for your post.

Android Studio (which is based on IntelliJ IDEA) will be supported for this new platform. Android Studio is available for free from Google and can run on a variety of platforms (including Windows, MacOS and Linux).

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Also we plan to offer support for the MIT/Google App Inventor as well. App Inventor is a server based visual development tool.

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

Tom

Comment

If we have a copy of IDEA, will it be compatible with any APIs we need to run within the FTC communications system? I've been working in IntelliJ products for a little over a year and a half, so having the editor familiarity would be great.
      FTC Team 6369
      Lifeboat Development Team
      Github ยท Twitter

Comment

Hi williamtdr,

The FTC API/SDK has been developed and tested using Android Studio. It is distributed as an Android Studio project file. I believe the Android Studio interface is very similar (identical?) to the IDEA interface (i have only used Android Studio, I have not played with IntelliJ IDEA). I also believe that an advanced user could use an alternate tool like IDEA or even Eclipse (or even a text editor and command line calls to the Android SDK) with the FTC API/SDK if they wanted to. However, the documentation and support will be targeted towards developers using Android Studio or the MIT App Inventor.

Tom

Comment

FYI, Android Studio has some direct integrations into the Android SDK, but otherwise it is identical to IntelliJ IDEA.

I am excited to hear that there will be an FTC SDK. Will it be possible to download the FTC SDK ahead of the hardware release? As someone who works with Android on a daily basis, it would be fun to play with it to see what you've done.

Thank you.

Comment

Just to cite a source for what norton is refering to above:
            http://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2013/...id-studio-faq/

Also, with such similarities between Android Studio and IntelliJ IDEA, I probably would be best to have three tiers of Android programming: Rookies would use MIT App Inventor (to me it is similiar to LabVIEW), Veterans would use Android Studio, and teams with excellent programming teams could use IntelliJ IDEA. I would think that currently the official documentation would not need to be amended to add IntelliJ, but instead allow the FIRST community build try to build documentation from their experience to see how it goes. Some teams could make use of the features the IntelliJ Ultimate platform. Not being documented and not being supported are different in a game like this.

In addition, a recommend to FIRST would be to allow an EAP (or public beta test) for interested teams, one that requires feedback, so they could make a necessary changes to their SDK. A drastic platform change of this nature would be sufficient an reason to do this.

Comment

Working...
            X