Worlds for a rookie team.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds for a rookie team.

I am an advisor/parent of a rookie team in Texas that advanced to the World meet this year. We would love some info and thoughts on what to expect at Worlds? Is there any time for sight seeing or is it all out everyday? Hotels are close to the dome so do your teams walk,shuttle or taxi back and forth? Parking near the dome easy if we drive up instead of flying?

I want the good and the bad!!

What should we bring with us that is not supplied at the meet? Folding chairs,ext cords,gps for finding our location in the pits?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Congratulations on the win!
    FTC Team 4508
    E=MC Squirreled
    Github Repo: www.github.com/emcsquirreled/FTC-2012
    Lead Programmer and Electronics

Comment

Most hotels are within an easy walk to the dome. The ones that are a bit further out are a short metro ride of a long walk.
      Bring folding chairs.
      There is parking right next to the dome for $10 a day.
      I liked the box lunches ordered in advance. There are food trucks at nearby intersections and a grocery store with prepared sandwiches not far away. The food in the dome is ridiculously priced.

Comment

Many thanks FTC1001!! We are staying within walking distance of the Dome. Us old folk need our chairs so we will pack a few. Feeding the kids was a big one and you answered that.

What is a day of competition like? Our Regional and Championship tournaments were brutal!! 14+ hour days on your feet. Should we expect the same in St. Louis?

Any other thoughts?? Any hurdles yall had to jump last year??

Thanks again for the info!!

Comment

Originally posted by emcsquirrled View Post
          Congratulations on the win!
          Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Binderman View Post
            I am an advisor/parent of a rookie team in Texas that advanced to the World meet this year. We would love some info and thoughts on what to expect at Worlds? Is there any time for sight seeing or is it all out everyday? Hotels are close to the dome so do your teams walk,shuttle or taxi back and forth? Parking near the dome easy if we drive up instead of flying?

I want the good and the bad!!

What should we bring with us that is not supplied at the meet? Folding chairs,ext cords,gps for finding our location in the pits?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!
            We had a blast last year as rookies in St. Louis! (We had to deal with a tornado one day, but other than that it was fun.) We were in the hotel directly across the street from the Dome and it worked out great for us. (The Reniscance, I think it's called?) You'll have plenty of time to do some sight seeing while you're there. The City Museum is probably the coolest place in the world. Check it out! The team will love it. We made it to the Arch one afternoon, and that was fun too. On the last night FIRST opened up the Science Museum for the teams, and that was very cool! You'll be exhausted from the day, but you'll have a good time.

We bought temporary tattoos and team buttons to pass out to other teams in the pits. Teams usually hand out small tokens like that. Balloons are a quick and easy way to decorate your pit area.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Team5468 View Post
              We had a blast last year as rookies in St. Louis! (We had to deal with a tornado one day, but other than that it was fun.) We were in the hotel directly across the street from the Dome and it worked out great for us. (The Reniscance, I think it's called?) You'll have plenty of time to do some sight seeing while you're there. The City Museum is probably the coolest place in the world. Check it out! The team will love it. We made it to the Arch one afternoon, and that was fun too. On the last night FIRST opened up the Science Museum for the teams, and that was very cool! You'll be exhausted from the day, but you'll have a good time.

We bought temporary tattoos and team buttons to pass out to other teams in the pits. Teams usually hand out small tokens like that. Balloons are a quick and easy way to decorate your pit area.

Hope this helps!
              Many thanks!! I think we might be able to make a go of it. I was worried that we would be going in blind but the info recieved has eased some of the worries....

Thanks!!!

Comment

Congratulations. I am the coach of Monkey Madness. Last year was our rookie year and we were very fortunate to get a bid to the World Championship. Here are a few tips that we learned:

• FTC will send you a detailed schedule of events which is much more comprehensive than the spectator schedule on the usfirst.org site. Last year, inspections and judging took place on Wednesday afternoon and there were 8 qualifying rounds on Thursday and Friday.
                • It is a long distance from the pit to the playing field. I highly recommend a cart. Offer to carry your alliance partner robot on your cart (many foreign teams will not have a cart).
                • Be sure to enjoy your time and talk with other teams in the pit, especially in your division. We got lots of great ideas that we incorporated into our design this year.
                • Send out some of your team members to scout teams in your division and to talk up your capabilities. We hand out a one page description of our robot with our game strategy and a picture. If you are not an alliance captain, you want to be picked.
                • Have lots of trinkets to give out in the pits. We ordered 500 2.5 inch buttons from wackybuttons dot com with our logo, team name and number. There is lots of spectator traffic in the pits and it is nice to give them something.
                • Be sure you have safety glasses for all team members and family associated with the team. They are strictly enforced.
                • Lots of teams decorate their pit area based on their team theme or locale. We use inflatable monkeys and LED palm trees. We also set up tri-fold posters that show our outreach/mentoring activities and our robot design.
                • Be sure to visit scholarship row in the pit to talk to schools about their FIRST scholarship opportunities.
                • Keep someone in the pit as much as possible in case you get a judging callback.
                • Team rankings and live video of the rounds are on display in the Pit.
                • Seating at the awards on Saturday fills up quickly. We walked directly from the elimination rounds to the awards and couldn’t get seats for our team.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC5096 View Post
                  Congratulations. I am the coach of Monkey Madness. Last year was our rookie year and we were very fortunate to get a bid to the World Championship. Here are a few tips that we learned:

• FTC will send you a detailed schedule of events which is much more comprehensive than the spectator schedule on the usfirst.org site. Last year, inspections and judging took place on Wednesday afternoon and there were 8 qualifying rounds on Thursday and Friday.
                  • It is a long distance from the pit to the playing field. I highly recommend a cart. Offer to carry your alliance partner robot on your cart (many foreign teams will not have a cart).
                  • Be sure to enjoy your time and talk with other teams in the pit, especially in your division. We got lots of great ideas that we incorporated into our design this year.
                  • Send out some of your team members to scout teams in your division and to talk up your capabilities. We hand out a one page description of our robot with our game strategy and a picture. If you are not an alliance captain, you want to be picked.
                  • Have lots of trinkets to give out in the pits. We ordered 500 2.5 inch buttons from wackybuttons dot com with our logo, team name and number. There is lots of spectator traffic in the pits and it is nice to give them something.
                  • Be sure you have safety glasses for all team members and family associated with the team. They are strictly enforced.
                  • Lots of teams decorate their pit area based on their team theme or locale. We use inflatable monkeys and LED palm trees. We also set up tri-fold posters that show our outreach/mentoring activities and our robot design.
                  • Be sure to visit scholarship row in the pit to talk to schools about their FIRST scholarship opportunities.
                  • Keep someone in the pit as much as possible in case you get a judging callback.
                  • Team rankings and live video of the rounds are on display in the Pit.
                  • Seating at the awards on Saturday fills up quickly. We walked directly from the elimination rounds to the awards and couldn’t get seats for our team.

Good luck.
                  Thank you for the info above!! I just hope the kids go and have a blast win or loose and little bit of organization and knowing what to expect will ease the nerves and make the week enjoyable whatever the outcome!

Many thanks for your reply and the info you provided!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X