Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

180 degree servo controller settings with continuous Rotation Servos, heads up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 degree servo controller settings with continuous Rotation Servos, heads up.

Upgraded our controllers to take advantage of the full 180 servo range. Used the discovery tool to set the servo port(s) accordingly. While we were there we just figured that we might as well set them all to use the full range.

Only to find out that doing that shrinks the power range of any continuous rotation servos (we were using the 2645 - didn't test the 1425CR) such that values above 0.74 and below -0.74 will not work. The servos do not move, no errors are thrown. Probably best to just leave these ports without the extended range enabled.

ah the old Hitech controller days where this all just worked...

Thanks for sharing your experience. Are FTC team allowed to use HS-2645 servo since it is 7.4V max? I thought the max servo voltage allowed is 6V as per RE<10> in Game manual #1. Please clarify.

Comment

You would have to ask that question in the official robot electronics area but I believe servos that operate at 7.4V Max are allowed to be used but we aren't allowed to supply them with more than 6V of power.

Comment

Can you possibly explain in more detail how you configured a CRservo to operate in only 180 degrees? My team us attempting to do this right now and we are struggling! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ji3patel View Post
          Thanks for sharing your experience. Are FTC team allowed to use HS-2645 servo since it is 7.4V max? I thought the max servo voltage allowed is 6V as per RE<10> in Game manual #1. Please clarify.
          Another part of RE10 - Any servo that is compatible with the attached servo controller is allowed

Servo in question voltage spec -
          Operating Voltage Range (Volts DC) 4.8V ~ 6.0V ~ 7.4V
          • Can you possibly explain in more detail how you configured a CRservo to operate in only 180 degrees?
          No Potentiometer
          This servo does not have position feedback

I don't see how even a digital servo could accurately go to a specific position with no internal feedback.

Comment

Per the other thread, you can't. You would need to add some sort of position sensor, either based on measuring rotation or position (such as a limit switch). It sounds like you may be trying to adapt a device to a solution it may not be well suited to address. Perhaps if you describe the goals you are trying to address around an engineered solution and context, we might be able to provide more useful suggestions. The other thread might be the better place to do that rather than this somewhat unrelated and older thread.

Comment

Working...
            X