Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials

Would a rock be legal as a material?

We were thinking about using a rock to weigh down our marker so that it would stay up straight.

Per <RM01>, a rock is allowed provided that no other rules are violated.

Comment

Alright, thank you.

Comment

We were considering using fishing weights as counterbalance in our original design, thinking a portion would hang evenly below the lander. The dividing line prevents that method, but the fishing weights are readily available and come in a great variety of shapes and weights. You may have a rock that fits your need, but I thought I'd throw out the sinker idea in case you have trouble finding a rock to match your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentor 777 View Post
          We were considering using fishing weights as counterbalance in our original design, thinking a portion would hang evenly below the lander. The dividing line prevents that method, but the fishing weights are readily available and come in a great variety of shapes and weights. You may have a rock that fits your need, but I thought I'd throw out the sinker idea in case you have trouble finding a rock to match your needs.
          I think most fishing weights are lead and would be disallowed.

Comment

I just read that lead is considered a hazardous material in the game manual. I was going to come back here to make sure that was pointed out. Thanks for the correction! I wouldn't want someone going into a competition with a plan that I had mentioned and find out they weren't allowed.

Personally, I think that could probably be challenged, but it would have to be at a very high level since it is specifically mentioned in the game manual. After all, it is a tool people commonly use in the practice of catching fish that they then eat! So, it seems that using one as a counterweight to balance a robot would be a safe use.

Again, thanks for pointing out my error!

Comment

There are non-toxic fishing weights which don't have lead. However usually the density of steel is pretty good and you can cut a piece into a nice rectangle that is easy to bolt to your frame. I suggest don't get fancier materials if you don't have to.

Comment

Working...
              X