Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal and Illegal parts

Hello.

I found this TETRIX Prime gripper arm kit(found at entry no. W40234 in the legal/illegal parts list) to be illegal.

https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/...parts-list.pdf

The question is: are Teams allowed to print their own grippers that are similar to the TETRIX Prime gripper, or are Teams allowed to attach anything to the gears from a two gear+motor assembly, in order for the assembly to behave similarly to the examples?

For example, the gripper in the follwing link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:969447 . It has only one degree of freedom as the TETRIX Prime. And the same could be achieved by attaching a rod to each interconnected gear, the rods being parallel.

I mean, two gears would be a single speed gearbox, but with something attached to them, would still have the same degree of freedom, so technically, this would mean that a one-speed gearbox should be illegal too.

Last edited by brobika; 10-13-2017, 12:28 PM.

Anything posted in this section of the forum is not an official Answer. If you want an official answer, ask your question through your team account, on the OFFICIAL Q & A portion of the forum.

1) Teams can print their own claws and be fine. You can't PURCHASE a claw (COTS).

2) Single Speed gearboxes are allowed, as noted in GM1, under RM02 in the orange box.
    2015 FTC World Champion - Valley X Robotics 2844 - Founding Memeber

Comment

I'd suggest reading the build parts answers. Specifically, look at this official post: https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum/i...1808#post51808
      It addresses the use of portions of an existing gripper assembly in order to get around the rules. You can have a gripper, they just require you to design and build it yourself.
      Technical Coach, Newton Busters FTC 10138, FLL 3077
      Chicago 'burbs, IL

Comment

So designing it in creo, for example, from scratch and not downloading the gripper from thingiverse, for instance?

Comment

Originally posted by gof View Post
          I'd suggest reading the build parts answers. Specifically, look at this official post: https://ftcforum.usfirst.org/forum/i...1808#post51808
          It addresses the use of portions of an existing gripper assembly in order to get around the rules. You can have a gripper, they just require you to design and build it yourself.

So designing it in creo, for example, from scratch and not downloading the gripper from thingiverse, for instance?

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the AndyMark am-0972 pneumatic wheels are legal in FTC?

Comment

Originally posted by fjowitt View Post
              Can anyone tell me if the AndyMark am-0972 pneumatic wheels are legal in FTC?
              Look in Game Manual 1, <RG01>a for the requirements as well as <I8> on how to test the wheel. In general, ANY wheel is allowed, but if it's a drive wheel, it must meet those requirements. They mention the high grip tread as it's already known to damage the field (but you could use it for an intake not touching the floor).
              Chicago 'burbs, IL

Comment

Pneumatic wheels would appear to meet the Game Manual 1 definition of a "closed gas device" which would make them illegal.

Comment

Yes - if you design it yourself in Creo (or other CAD package) and 3d print it, it will be legal.
                  In the past anything downloaded from Thingiverse and 3d printed has been allowed.

The One-degree-of-freedom is something that the GDC struggles with in their answers. From my observations, I think the main objective is to have the team actually design most of the robot and by doing the design, learn and understand more. Allowing teams to buy large complex devices means that they wouldn't learn as much. And saying one degree of freedom is a decent way of drawing the line of what is too much being designed by others. The problem comes in drawing that line with specific products when there is honestly some gray areas.

I think with having to 3d print and assemble it the team does learn more than they would with assemble it from a kit. Especially since there are almost always different versions of any given part on thingiverse and just choosing the right one can be it's own challenge.

Standard disclaimer that this isn't the official answer forum and I'm not a game design committee member.

Comment

We have found a flexible nut driver, and we are wondering if this part would be legal to put on our robot, because of the degrees of motion.
                    Here is a link of the part: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07417V7H7..._t3_B075GVC7X8
                    And here is an image of the actual part :

If we could have an answer ASAP, that would be greatly appreciated!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by natdis12551 View Post
                      We have found a flexible nut driver, and we are wondering if this part would be legal to put on our robot, because of the degrees of motion.
                      Here is a link of the part: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07417V7H7..._t3_B075GVC7X8

natdis12551 No idea if this is legal or not, however, the idea of using it on a robot is certainly intriguing. Also, as the Q&A forum is the only place to get an "Official" answer, you might want to re-post your question there for a faster response. Good luck this season!
                      Michael P Clark
                      Founding Mentor, FTC 9958
                      http://www.redfishrobotics.com
                      "We're Hooked on FIRST"

Comment

Re-posting to keep active

Comment

Re-posting to keep active
                          Any post here would only be an unofficial opinion. You MUST post to the Q&A section to get an official ruling or risk the part being disqualified at a tournament.
                          Chicago 'burbs, IL

Comment

Does anyone know if using a vacuum on a robot is illegal?

Comment

The Green Girls created a vacuum for Velocity Vortex that was legal (for lifting the cap ball). You have to make sure that the parts you take have only 1 degree of freedom and that you use a legal motor to power it. Basically if you use a fan which sucks air from a tube it can create a vacuum that can be used. You must be careful to not have the output of the fan contained because that could be compressed air which is not allowed.

You should post to the question forum a question asking about the legality of the part(s) you are looking to use as using a vacuum is unusual and will get extra scrutiny from inspectors.

All that being said - A vacuum of enough power to suck in game pieces is pretty tough to do using the power source and motors we have in FTC. While even a semi-working one would have a pretty high cool factor - it might not be a winning strategy.

Comment

Working...
                              X