Engineering Notebook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering Notebook

My team is looking at doing an electronic engineering notebook for the new season. My question is, do teams create an electronic notebook using various Microsoft products (word, excel, etc..) or do you use a prefab program that lets you simply input your thoughts, sketches, etc.. ? If such a program exists can you point me in the right direction?

TIA
    Dave - Mentor
    CVTM Robotics Team 6966 (Bat Bots) Rookie Season 2013/14
    CVTM Robotics Team 8257 (Bond Bots) Rookie Season 2014/15

I remember seeing a site that offers online electronic notebook for FTC teams:
    http://ftcengineering.org/
    But we have not used it ourselves

Comment

We used a google doc. We created a template for each meeting (time, date, attendees, tasks to do, reflections per task, etc) and then copied the template for each new meeting.

A key advantage of the google doc is that multiple team members can edit it at the same time. The programmers might have it open at one end of the room while the builders have it open on another computer at the other end. They could both write in the doc simultaneously! It also supports adding pictures well.

My only advice would be that if you add lots of pictures, the doc can get big and sluggish. We ended up having a different doc for each month's engineering section. That worked very well and had no troubles.

Comment

The team I now mentor uses a wikispace. It allows students to build their engineering notebook in the form of a website but without having extensive knowledge of HTML. We add hundreds of pictures and the site is free. This will be the fourth year that we've been using it and it's fantastic for notebook purposes. You can subscribe to the website's RSS feed as well so you can see all the changes made and who made them. This would kinda go under the pre-fab program section since knowledge of HTML isn't required, but it does allow HTML input if you want it.

Check it out and see what you think:
        http://ftc-team-3486.wikispaces.com/

Comment

Thanks all

We are going to check out all of the suggestions and see which one the group likes best.
          Dave - Mentor
          CVTM Robotics Team 6966 (Bat Bots) Rookie Season 2013/14
          CVTM Robotics Team 8257 (Bond Bots) Rookie Season 2014/15

Comment

Our team used Word of our electronic notebook. We saved it to our cloud drive so it would be accessible. We also copied the previous meeting design as a template for each new entry, and we added tons of pictures. We also found it useful to make collages out of pictures when there was a large number of them so we could maximize our space.

Comment

Working...
            X