GoPro Camera Legality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro Camera Legality

My team will be competing in the global tournament soon, and quite a few of us are interested in attaching a camera to our robot simply to record video from the robot's perspective. I've been told that a GoPro (for example) wouldn't violate any explicit rules because it would be non-functional and wouldn't affect the outcome of the match (Rule R07 in the Game Manual). I wanted to make sure before I go and spend $400 on something that's illegal to use during matches.

Anyone know if mounted video cameras are legal or not?

There was another post a while back, a team had bought one and used it without issue at one qualifier, but when they went to another qualifier refs told them the robot would not be allowed onto the field with it. It wasn't answered as the poster hijacked another thread, but regardless it seems that you might have some issues with varying rule interpretations between refs. If you really want to know the answer, use your team account (which you can access in TIMS) and ask on the official Q&A forum- any answers there are by the Game Design Committee, and are therefore considered in much the same way Supreme court rulings are, that is, what they say goes.

If you need to buy one soon anyway, I'd recommend getting a key fob "spy" camera. These things are very cheap ($10 if you're good) and they're all over eBay. Despite being made and designed in china, they're surprisingly durable. I use them on rockets all the time because of their small size and low profile. It's perfect for taping it to the outside of the body tube! I had a friend who taped one onto a HPR rocket (big, biiiig rockets) with electrical tape (I will never understand that). T+2 seconds into takeoff it fell off of the airframe and fell into the ground, where it lay for a full New England winter and spring (albeit a mild one). The NAR prefect running the club found it, and as it turns out it still works just fine! I'd like to see a GoPro do that!
    Last edited by jquigley; 03-15-2013, 11:23 AM.
    -jquigley
    FTC Team #5818 "BOTtering Rams" (Ring it Up!)

Comment

We had one attached to our robot for a qualifier and were told to take it off. There was concern about violating the battery rule. They were also concerned about IR or Wifi emissions interfering with the FCS.

Comment

Alright, I'll check with the Q&A Forum. Thanks to all of you for the help!

Comment

gopro

it says that you can use the gopro camera in the game manual part 1 because of rule ro8.y. it even mentions gopro specifically.
          Last edited by greaser3888; 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM.
          Greased Lightning Team 3888
          Email: greasedlightningrobotics@gmail.com
          Instagram: http://instagram.com/greasedlightning3888
          Facebook: www.facebook.com/ftc3888
          Twitter: @GLFTC3888

Comment

Originally posted by FTC5096 View Post
            They were also concerned about IR or Wifi emissions interfering with the FCS.
            As long as it doesn't have wireless capability, it should be legal.
            Lead programmer for FTC team #6424, the 'Oly Cow.
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-O...60019847470634

Comment

So as long as it's obvious that a camera doesn't have WiFi capability, it would be legal?

Comment

Yes, it should be. If the refs won't let you, you should ask them a question about it and reference the rules (always reference the rules!).
                Lead programmer for FTC team #6424, the 'Oly Cow.
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-O...60019847470634

Comment

Our Experience

Originally posted by deltagolf5903 View Post
                  My team will be competing in the global tournament soon, and quite a few of us are interested in attaching a camera to our robot simply to record video from the robot's perspective. I've been told that a GoPro (for example) wouldn't violate any explicit rules because it would be non-functional and wouldn't affect the outcome of the match (Rule R07 in the Game Manual). I wanted to make sure before I go and spend $400 on something that's illegal to use during matches.

Anyone know if mounted video cameras are legal or not?
                  We have a couple of team members who are go-pro enthusiasts who wanted to mount the camera but we were understanding it was illegal. However, during inspections at one of our qualifiers, the ref told them it was, in fact, legal. They insisted on strapping it on right before our first match. We lost connection and spun out on the bottom of the ramp during the match and it cost us first place at that qualifier, rendering us unable to hang. We removed the camera and had no further connection issues. They said they turned the wi-fi off, but we subsequently found posts saying not only can the wi-fi be an issue, but any bluetooth capabilities as well. They are still very much wanting to add the camera, confident turning wi-fi and blue tooth off will solve the issue. They want to add this to the robot for the State Championship, but the rest of the team and coaches are extremely hesitant to do so. In answer to your question though, it should be legal. We would recommend testing it with the camera thoroughly prior putting it in the ring.

Comment

FTC9955, you're responding to posts that are years old.

You really should read the game manual from this year:

<RE06> Additional Robot electronics are subject to the following constraints:

c. Video recording devices (GoPro or similar) are allowed providing they are used only for non-functional
                    post Match entertainment and the wireless capability is turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X