No announcement yet.

Request to change TBP system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another more radical proposal: the top teams could be more fairly ranked and sorted with a change in the qual match schedule near the end of an event.

One option for qualifier events would have teams play a random schedule for 3 matches and then the top 1/4 teams could be scheduled to face each other with mid-ranked partners for the final 2 qual matches, resulting in less random and more fair head-to-head types of matches at the ends of quals. At Worlds this could be particularly easy to do by releasing a "final day" match schedule the night before based on the rankings up to that point.

Or an even more radical concept: after qual matches, have the top 6 teams face off in three 1 v 1 matches, with their relative scores determining the final top 6 rankings. This would add a new stage of matches between regular quals and regular elims (kinda-sorta like the round-robin stage that FRC has at worlds before their finals, though with many obvious differences).
    Last edited by Cheer4FTC; 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I am a rookie FTC coach, but I have mentored on an FRC team the last three years.

It seems to me that who you are assigned with in FTC plays a much larger role than FRC for three reasons:
      1) You have far fewer matches - so each one counts for more.
      2) There are two members per alliance instead of three. So the amount of impact each team has is 1/4th instead of 1/6th.
      3) There are many fewer teams that get to play in elims. Only 4 captains instead of 8.

JoAnn
      I *love* that FTC is trying to keep the scoring where it is easy to explain. I *hate* explaining district points to people new to FRC. They almost feel intentionally complicated. Thank you for your clear explanation of what your goals would be for any replacement for TBP.

While only tangentially related to TBP, I would *love* to see FTC go to 8 alliances with a quarter-final, semi-final, and final. On the downside, this would make the tournament day longer. On the positive side, this would allow twice as many teams to play in elims and would reduce the impact of TBP as more teams would get to be alliance captains. It would increase the number of teams that need to be scouting, Also, brackets are exciting with the opportunity for upsets.

--Alan
      Rookie Coach FTC #16072

Comment

Alan, most qualifying tournaments are between 20-28 teams, so 8 alliances in all tournaments would not be a necessary improvement. The 80-team world championship division is a great place for 8 alliances. I think most big state tournaments use 2 reasonably-sized divisions rather than one big division. There should probably be a threshold set (48 or more perhaps) for when to go to 8 alliances.

Comment

Our district FRC events (typically 32 or less teams) have 8 alliances and with 3 teams on each alliance, that means most of the teams are playing in elims.

Comment

Working...
          X