Please explain Rule 1.5.4 Part 1 of Game Manual Part 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain Rule 1.5.4 Part 1 of Game Manual Part 2

"1. Robots Latched - Each Robot that Deployed during pre-Match setup or in the course of game play and is Latched onto either of their own

Alliance-specific Lander Support Brackets at the End of the Match earns 50 points for their Alliance."

What exactly is the meaning of "Deployed during pre-Match setup or in the course of game play"

According to the latest answered question for End Game, a robot may earn 50 points even if it did not begin the match hanging 4 inches off the ground. Using that interpretation, then the entire phrase "
    Deployed
    during pre-Match setup or in the course of game play and " could be removed from this definition.

"Each Robot that is Latched onto either of their own Alliance-specific Lander Support Brackets at the End of the Match earns 50 points for their Alliance." means exactly what is conveyed in the latest answered question.

To me, "Each Robot that Deployed" sounds like the robot must act in some way. The definition of "Deployed" is "Robot is not attached to the Lander." However, this definition does not say "Each Robot that has been deployed." It says "Each Robot that Deployed." In other words, each robot that performed in such a way to become unattached to the lander. In order for a robot to actively become unattached to the lander, it must first be attached to the lander.

Therefore, please provide an explanation of this phrase.

Last edited by Mentor 777; 12-11-2018, 01:57 PM.

• Mentor 777
    replied
    Originally posted by Alec View Post

Totally agree with the GDC. An alliance should not be awarded 100 points for parking two bots on the lander for the entire match.
    I totally agree with that part as well! I am glad that part is there. I certainly don't think a dead robot should get any points.

I have been thinking it was even tighter than that, though. Not only would a robot have to get up on the lander from the floor at the end game, it must also start hanging and be able to deploy during the autonomous portion. In other words, the only way to be eligible to earn the 50 points in the end game was to first earn the 30 points for Landing in Autonomous.

That understanding was why I was so adamant that the 4 inch minimum clearance rule in combination with the G2 variance was extreme in regards to the height of the lander support bracket. The bracket being too low and causing a robot to be less than 4 inches off the ground would prevent the robot from scoring 80 points! With this new answered question, a robot hanging less than 4 inches off the ground would only lose out on the 30 points for Landing, but still be eligible for the 50 points for Latching.

Leave a comment:

• Alec
    replied
    Originally posted by Mentor 777 View Post
    ... it appears that this section may have been added just to keep someone from hanging a dead robot on a hook and achieving 50 points in the end game...
    Totally agree with the GDC. An alliance should not be awarded 100 points for parking two bots on the lander for the entire match.

Leave a comment:

• Mentor 777
    replied
    I see the difference in the conditions. However, the statements reads "Each robot THAT deployed". That implies a change in condition from latched to deployed by an action of the robot.

"Deployed" in the definitions is a "state." In its use in this definition, it is either an "action" or poor grammar.

We took the game manual to be correct in its use of grammar in our planning. We assumed that a robot must first be latched in order to qualify for both the "Landing" in Autonomous and "Latched" in the End Game. Actually, I was impressed that this seemed to give a large amount of points for the autonomous portion. That was discussed last year that the autonomous portion should be weighted more heavily. Requiring an autonomous action to be eligible for both objectives seemed to be a great move.

In reading the answer and your explanation, it appears that this section may have been added just to keep someone from hanging a dead robot on a hook and achieving 50 points in the end game. At the beginning of the season last year, several robots just sat there to collect the 20 points for balancing at the end. I suppose that is an improvement that a dead robot can not score anything this year. The wording could have been clearer if it was not meant that a robot must perform an action in deploying from the lander to be eligible for this goal.
    Last edited by Mentor 777; 12-11-2018, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gof
    replied
    The language allows for the robot to start latched and later become "Deployed". Deployed refers to the state of being below the handle, but not touching it. A robot place onto the field, but not latched also works as Deployed. The specific "Deployed during pre-Match setup or in the course of game play" covers these two possibilities. Deployed refers to a "state", not an "action". If a robot started Latched, but never achieved the state of being Deployed, it would not be eligible for the end-game Latching bonus.

The Q&A section is the rules committee restating or reinforcing the rules. They may re-use or restate them in an attempt to clarify so there may be some redundancy in their wording.
    Last edited by gof; 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X