Intent of part b of Attached to the Lander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intent of part b of Attached to the Lander

The effect of Part b of Attached to the Lander, which gives a minimum clearance of 4 inches, is that teams must design their robot to hang at 5 inches when the lander support bracket is at the stated height of 22 inches, per the game manual.

22 inches stated lander support bracket height minus 1 inch G26 tolerance equals 21 inch minimum lander support bracket height.

21 inch minimum lander support bracket height minus 4 inch minimum clearance equals maximum attachment point of 17 inches.

22 inch stated lander support bracket height minus 17 inch maximum attachment point equals 5 inches clearance.

Was this the intent of the game design committee when developing part b of Attached to the Lander?

Just speaking as a volunteer FTA/coach, the one inch tolerance is pretty standard. My team has auto programs that land and also don't land, that is one option in case of a problem with landing for whatever reasons.

Comment

Yes, the G26 one inch tolerance is in the manual and is well known to folks that have competed. However, it is easily missed by rookie teams amid 90 plus pages of rules. Like we did, others have learned of this tolerance rule the hard way when the field was not what was expected at competitions.

I believe 1 inch on this particular measurement is too much. Just using the stated height of 22 inches and factoring in G26, teams would have to be prepared to drop anywhere from 3 to 5 inches instead of the intended 4 inches in the game design. Adding in part b with a minimum clearance of 4 inches, that 2 inch range from G26 moves to a possible required drop of anywhere from 4 to 6 inches.

That brings the max drop to 50% higher than the intended 4 inches. One extra inch from G26 and one extra inch from part b. I believe 50% difference from the intended challenge is a bit extreme. I do not believe that this was considered in the creation of part b. An easy fix would be to change part b to 3 inches. Teams would still have to deal with the 2 inch range, but at least it would be closer to the intended challenge.

Comment

Working...
      X