New Electronics Vendor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Electronics Vendor

I sponsor 4 different FTC teams and I know this issue has probably been talked about a lot but I am going to add my two cents. For the cost of the equipment we had to buy at the beginning of this year, I would have expected that the quality of the hardware to be much better than what it is. Unlike many teams I have to compete with I don't have endless funds that allow me to buy multiple backup parts that I may or may not need. If a part breaks, I then have to find the monies to buy a replacement. The Modern Robotics equipment is proving to be a drain on our limited finances. We have lost two PDMs and one Motor controller. At just under $300 this is no small matter for us to address. However, the PDMs are not in stock at Modern Robotics and the supposed discount that they told FTC teams we would get (via an email when registering with their website) is non existent. I fully understand that sometimes, things break. But we should at least have the ability to buy a replacement in a timely manner. We have our league championship coming up in less than two weeks and I have two teams that probably won't be able to compete because the parts we need are not in stock. I find that fact to fly in the face of what FIRST is trying to achieve. A vendor issue should not prevent teams from fielding a robot. While I am sure that no one outside of the inner circles at FIRST will find out, I am hoping that lengthy conversations have been held with Modern Robotics to try to rectify these issues for next season. What has transpired is not fair to the kids that are wanting to compete. We can deal with our robots not being good enough...not even having the opportunity to compete is very disheartening and not what FIRST stands for, in my opinion.

Thank you

Tony Graham
    Team Sponsor for 7785, 7789, 8493, & 8876

loaner parts, I have bought extra and am not using them text me at 541-806-0505 Jeff

I have bought extra and am not using them text me at 541-806-0505 Jeff
    Originally posted by FTC7785 View Post
    I sponsor 4 different FTC teams and I know this issue has probably been talked about a lot but I am going to add my two cents. For the cost of the equipment we had to buy at the beginning of this year, I would have expected that the quality of the hardware to be much better than what it is. Unlike many teams I have to compete with I don't have endless funds that allow me to buy multiple backup parts that I may or may not need. If a part breaks, I then have to find the monies to buy a replacement. The Modern Robotics equipment is proving to be a drain on our limited finances. We have lost two PDMs and one Motor controller. At just under $300 this is no small matter for us to address. However, the PDMs are not in stock at Modern Robotics and the supposed discount that they told FTC teams we would get (via an email when registering with their website) is non existent. I fully understand that sometimes, things break. But we should at least have the ability to buy a replacement in a timely manner. We have our league championship coming up in less than two weeks and I have two teams that probably won't be able to compete because the parts we need are not in stock. I find that fact to fly in the face of what FIRST is trying to achieve. A vendor issue should not prevent teams from fielding a robot. While I am sure that no one outside of the inner circles at FIRST will find out, I am hoping that lengthy conversations have been held with Modern Robotics to try to rectify these issues for next season. What has transpired is not fair to the kids that are wanting to compete. We can deal with our robots not being good enough...not even having the opportunity to compete is very disheartening and not what FIRST stands for, in my opinion.

Thank you

Tony Graham
    Team Sponsor for 7785, 7789, 8493, & 8876

Comment

Working...
    X