Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why introduce a new website scheme in the middle of our season?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why introduce a new website scheme in the middle of our season?!

Dear USFirst,

I am not happy with the new website design. Documents and information that used to be readily accessible are no longer easy to find. For example, just finding this forum required quite a bit of perseverance. Needless to say I finally found the link to the forum page on the "Stay Connected" page. In my opinion, a link to this forum, which has been a lifeline during the many changes in technology, should be placed prominently on the Quick Links section First Tech Game and Season Info page.

Why did USFirst decide to roll out the new website design during the middle of the FTC season? Why not wait until late spring or summer? It is hard enough dealing with all the technology changes without now having to navigate so many pages to get to the information teams need at this point in the season.

Sincerely yours,
    Joe Wood
    FTC 4210

They wanted to roll it out before the FRC season started. The Teaser video for FRC had the new logo in it.

I do agree that the site is not as easy to navigate as they are saying. They need to do alot of work to it. The new site requires alot of searching, while the old one had easy tabs. Also, mutiple links in the Offical Q&A sections, and other parts of this forum are now broken...

I for one, will still be calling it FTC.
    2015 FTC World Champion - Valley X Robotics 2844 - Founding Memeber

Comment

Hear hear! Thanks to FIRST for graciously and professionally tossing another brick into the FTC debacle. As I prep today for our first event (I'm an FTA), I find all my book marks to important information on the FIRST site are useless. The new site is poorly designed and a step backwards and is costing me time to refind things I need. I am really getting tired of FIRST wasting my time in various ways (I'm not paid to do this like FIRST staff) and consuming time that should be spent on solving the problems introduced by the new control system. I have multiple teams in dire situations I'm trying to help and prep for our event, and now this.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossle86 View Post
        Hear hear! Thanks to FIRST for graciously and professionally tossing another brick into the FTC debacle. As I prep today for our first event (I'm an FTA), I find all my book marks to important information on the FIRST site are useless. The new site is poorly designed and a step backwards and is costing me time to refind things I need. I am really getting tired of FIRST wasting my time in various ways (I'm not paid to do this like FIRST staff) and consuming time that should be spent on solving the problems introduced by the new control system. I have multiple teams in dire situations I'm trying to help and prep for our event, and now this.
        +1

2015 FTC World Champion - Valley X Robotics 2844 - Founding Memeber

Comment

Hi Folks,

We understand that adding a new website now would be a challenge. We hope that this new website will make it easier for people who aren't already involved in FIRST to learn about our awesome programs. There was no 'good' time for us to do that. If we are trying to spread the word about FIRST, and our website is hard to navigate, all of that effort (your efforts, the Affiliate Partner efforts, the efforts of our Sponsors, and our efforts) become less effective.

Yesterday, we added redirects for the top 15 most visited locations on the FIRST Tech Challenge pages. This is a temporary measure, but it should help in the short term. This week and next week, we'll update all the links in all of our volunteer manuals (on the website and in Schoology) to direct to the correct places. That should help a whole lot more.

We know this is difficult, and we're sorry about that. We appreciate your GP - we know you're frustrated.

If you can't find information that you need right away, please send an email to either our amazing operations team at [email protected](dot)org or to me directly at [email protected](dot)org and we'll find it for you and send you a link.

Thanks so much for your patience!

JoAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Microburst View Post
            Hi Folks,

We understand that adding a new website now would be a challenge. We hope that this new website will make it easier for people who aren't already involved in FIRST to learn about our awesome programs. There was no 'good' time for us to do that.
            Thanks for the note, Joann.

But with all due respect, the 'good' time to do this is immediately after worlds, when all 4 FIRST programs are on hiatus. This would be fair to all 4 programs. Doing it now only reinforces the perception that FRC is all that matters to FIRST HQ and the other programs are an afterthought when important decisions are made.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheer4FTC View Post
              Thanks for the note, Joann.

But with all due respect, the 'good' time to do this is immediately after worlds, when all 4 FIRST programs are on hiatus. This would be fair to all 4 programs. Doing it now only reinforces the perception that FRC is all that matters to FIRST HQ and the other programs are an afterthought when important decisions are made.
              Hi Cheer4FTC!

FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST Lego League registrations open right after World. My initial thought was the same as yours - that late April might have been a better time, but when I think about all the new coaches who are trying to find resources when they register, I start to believe that there's not a great time to do this. I know this is really hard for the people who are already doing FIRST, but if we really want to change the culture, we have to make learning about FIRST easier for people who don't already know us. Our old web site was very very old, not very intuitive, and really wordy. Our community has done an admirable job of working through it. We hope that once people get a feel for the logic of the new site, that it might be easier. I know this isn't perfect, or ideal, and I know the timing is really rough for our community. I'm sorry about that. I'm here to help, and I mean it when I say that if you can't find something, please email me.

Thanks,

JoAnn
              [email protected](dot)org

Comment

The Game Manual Part I linked from http://www.firstinspires.org/sites/d...ual-part-I.pdf is rev 1.2, not the 1.4 which was released in October.
                John McDonnell
                Co-Mentor, Team 5873
                https://www.facebook.com/Team5873

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMcDonnell View Post
                  The Game Manual Part I linked from http://www.firstinspires.org/sites/d...ual-part-I.pdf is rev 1.2, not the 1.4 which was released in October.
                  Good catch! I just downloaded the wrong/old one.

Do you have a link to the new one? The archived site also has the old one.

Comment

The archived site shows 1.4 for me:

http://archive.firstinspires.org/sit...ual-Part-I.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X