Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presentation - Meet/Qualifier and Rubric?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presentation - Meet/Qualifier and Rubric?

I have several questions in regards to presentations.

1. What is the focus of the presentation for a meet and/or qualifier? Technical? Engineering Design Process? Overall?
    2. Does the focus differ for a meet than a qualifier?
    3. Is there a rubric or scoring sheet that I can give to my students?

We have really struggled in our presentations and the requirements seems to change for each event we go to. My students are really frustrated on what is required for this event and how they can prepare. I showed the students that video tutorial and it helped. Is there more information that I can provide them?

Thanks

Originally posted by mcg92171 View Post
    I have several questions in regards to presentations.

1. What is the focus of the presentation for a meet and/or qualifier? Technical? Engineering Design Process? Overall?
    2. Does the focus differ for a meet than a qualifier?
    3. Is there a rubric or scoring sheet that I can give to my students?

We have really struggled in our presentations and the requirements seems to change for each event we go to. My students are really frustrated on what is required for this event and how they can prepare. I showed the students that video tutorial and it helped. Is there more information that I can provide them?

Thanks
    This is only our 2nd year, but here is our experience at 2 qualifiers last year & 2 this year so far.

For our first presentation, we had prepared similar to the sample video. Everyone had their notes & we rehearsed so it took about 10 minutes. The judges cut us off about half way through because they wanted to ask questions. For the 2nd one we just did brief introductions - 2-3 sentences each, telling their name & the main thing they worked on to help the team. This seemed to work better.

This year we followed the same way we did the 2nd interview last year & it has worked great. I think the video is misleading based on what we have seen. It is really more of an interview than a presentation & the judges have specific things they want to hear about as they look at the robot & engineering notebook.

Here is a link to the self-reflection worksheet for the judges' interview: http://www.firstinspires.org/sites/d...reflection.pdf
    Last edited by FTC8767; 12-16-2015, 11:54 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Thanks for your reply and information.

We did exactly same method as your team did with the sample video and had the same results. The judges kept interrupting the team to ask questions and it really disturbed the students. I believe the questions were great but I thought the questions were going to be asked at the end, not during. This year I will have students be prepared for more of an interview.

Thanks for help.

Comment

Working...
      X