Fundraising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundraising

What types of fundraisers does your team do during the season? Any tips and tricks?

Originally posted by bluemoose5468 View Post
    What types of fundraisers does your team do during the season? Any tips and tricks?
    Hi Bluemoose5468,

Have you looked at the Non Engineering Mentor Organization's web site? NEMO has some great ideas for fundraising and some info about grant writing as well. Check out the resources section.

http://www.firstnemo.org/

Good Luck!

Comment

Our team has put on Lego camps for the last 2 years. We do a lego programming camp for beginning programmers in mid to late June, and this year's we're doing 2 spring break lego 1 day camps. We have one day where we're doing simple machines in legos, and one day where we're doing "lego master building", teaching them about shape construction, stronger connection and making a machine not built on the simple machine day. Since we were a FLL team for 3 years, we have LOTS of lego technic parts, and we are blessed to have access to at least 8 lego mindstorm robots. The initial response to our lego simple machine day is unprecedented. I posted it on only two groups, and in two days, we already have 4 camps paid and registrations sent out to about 15 families! For the programming camp, we charged $100 ($120 with laptop rental) for a 3.5 hour pre day, 5 day camp (made $1200 before some minor expenses). And we're asking $25 for our 5 hour lego build camp, and hoping for 12 kids a day.
      The simple machine lego camp is practically writing itself, but the lego master day camp I'm kinda struggling with. Mostly because I want to make it challenging & informative for them, but not so hard they get frustrated. Also, I have no idea what the campers know coming to the camp, so the lego master build is proving trickier, but I think it will be fun, not matter what we do. Heck, we're building with legos all day, it can't be but so bad!

Comment

bergiemoore,

This is great info. Would you be willing to send me your curriculum, etc. for your camps. I am looking to start one to help my teams out fundraising but am not really sure where to start, what ages to target, etc.

Comment

>Would you be willing to send me your curriculum, etc. for your camps.

I am so sorry for the late, late reply! I never returned to the thread until this year. Yes, I'd be happy to share if you still want it. My email is bergiemoore (at) yahoo.com . If you want to email me, I'll send it on to you.

Comment

We do two camps for two age groups. The first is ages 2-9 for basic lego building skills which we call 'Lego Adventures' and the second is for ages 10-14 where we teach basic programming and building skills. I have a ratio of one HS student for every two campers in the Lego Adventures group and 1:1 for the Lego Mindstorms group.

Comment

We added "Lego night out/parents' night out" to the mix. Parents are sometimes shocked that all the legos they see belong to a single team members, who just has a LOT of legos- like 8 large rubbermaid bins of them, but you could get away with about 1/3-1/2 as many legos. These fundraisers have proven effective- and a very easy fundraiser. We charge $20 a child with a $5 off sibling discount. (so $20 for the first child and $15 for each child after that.) The first time we met from 6-9, but parents told us it was hard to drop them off eat and get back in time, in our area, so we went from 5:30- 9:30 the following times. We serve cheap pizza and juice, and have chips or gold fish out to snack on. After our modest expenses, we have taken in an average of $250 for each night we've done these. The FTC members really love building with the kids, and we do a few lego game- instant challenges to spice things up. Sometimes the kids want to play them. Other times, not so much. But we make as much as our Lego engineering camps, and it's not nearly the amount of the work! We hold these the first Friday of each month in our season, so Aug.- March. Good luck teams.

Comment

Hello , my name is Matthew Vital, part of Team 5339 "The W.A.L.K.E.R.S." the way we fundraise is by selling meat snacks (slim jims). We made so much money by this fundraiser, if you want to give it a shot here is the link .
                Link: http://www.countrymeats.com/default.aspx#howItWorks
                We also did various bake sells in our schools plays, craft fair, etc. We do many other fundraisers, if you need anymore help, drop me a message or contact me(info on my page).
                Good Luck and have a Good Season !!!
                __________________________________________________ ___
                Team 5339 The W.A.L.K.E.R.S.
                Matthew Vital (Team Captain)
                Washington, NJ 07882

Comment

Horizons 4-H Robotics Program just raised $1000 in thirty days for FTC teams 4318 and 7182 using FlipGive. It's a way for people to shop on-line and support your team at no additional cost to them. Supporters can also make direct donations to your campaign. Makes it very easy! Check it out:

https://www.flipgive.com/

Comment

We host 3 week long summer camps for local area tweens. These have been very successful in our community, as well as fundraising ($70 admission+T-shirt). We also actively seek sponsors, and have found that local businesses are the best! Also PTC is a big grant giver! Good luck in fundraising!
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    FTC 265 Viking Robotics
                    Twitter: @Wiscorobotics
                    Email: FtcVikingRobotics@gmail.com

Comment

What are some efficient ways to fund a new team?

Comment

Working...
                      X